HMS Barfleur

Home ] Up ] HMS Neptune ] HMS Royal Sovereign 1857 ] HMS Prince Albert 1864 ] Warrior Class ] Defence Class ] Hector Class ] Achilles ] Prince Consort Class ] Devastation Class ] HMS Royal Alfred ] Minotaur Class ] HMS Research ] HMS Enterprise - 1864 ] HMS Favorite ] HMS Zealous ] HMS Sultan ] HMS Superb ] Scorpion Class ] Cerberus Class ] HMS Abyssinia ] HMS Glatton ] HMS Rupert 1872 ] HMS Dreadnought ] Cyclops Class ] Agamemnon Class Turret Ships ] Colossus Class ] HMS Colossus ] Conqueror Class ] HMS Victoria ] Admiral Class ] HMS Sans Pareil ] HMS Nile ] Victoria Class ] Trafalgar Class ] Royal Sovereign Class ] HMS Hood ] Centurion Class ] [ HMS Barfleur ] HMS Centurion ] HMS Renown 1895 ] Majestic Class ] HMS Edinburgh ] Canopus Class ] Formidable Class ] London Class ] Duncan Class ] King Edward Class ] HMS Trafalgar ] HMS Inflexible ] HMS Alexandra ] Belleisle Class ] Ironclad Battleships ] Lord Clyde Class ] HMS Royal Oak ] HMS Captain 1869 ] HMS Hotspur ] HMS Temeraire 1876 ] Audacious Class 1869 ] Swiftsure Class ] HMS Penelope ]

HMS Barfleur. Pre Dreadnaught Battleship of the Royal Navy, built at Chatham Dockyard and completed in 1894. HMS Barfleur was part of the Mediterranean Squadron in 1896. She was eventually sold for breaking in 1910.

Displacement: 10,500 tons.   IHP: 13,163.     Length: 360 ft.    Beam: 70 ft.    Draught 25 ft 6 ins.   original maximum speed 18.7 knots.   Compliment: 606

Armament:  Four  29 ton guns.   Ten  4.7 inch guns.    Eight 6 pounder guns and twelve 3 pounder quick-firers with a partial belt of armour of 12ins thick.

HMS Barfleur - Name History

The third ?Barfleur? was a 14-gun twin-screw battleship, launched at Chatham in 1892.  She was of 10,500 tons, 13,163 horsepower, and 18.5 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 360ft, 70ft, and 25ft.  In 1897 the ?Barfleur,? commanded by Captain Reginald Neville Custance, was employed in the pacification of the Island of Crete, which led to the appointment of Prince Charles of Greece as High Commissioner, under the suzerainty of the Sultan of Turkey.  Captain Custance received the C.M.G. as a reward for his services.  In 1900 the ?Barfleur? commanded by Captain George Warrender, and flying the flag of rear Admiral James Andrew Bruce, took part in the third china War or boxer Rebellion.  On June 9th a detachment from the ?Barfleur? commanded by commander David Beatty, proceeded in a Naval Brigade nearly 2000 strong, and of mixed nationalities, under Vice-Admiral Sir Edward Seymour, to the relief of Peking.  This expedition went through some very severe fighting, and before withdrawing suffered a loss of 2 officers and 63 men killed, and 20 officers and 210 men wounded.  Commander Beatty showed conspicuous gallantry, and was twice wounded on this and subsequent occasions.  A detachment from the ?Barfleur? on June 17th formed part of the naval brigade of mixed nationalities, consisting of 35 officers and 869 men under Commander Christopher Cradock of the ?Alacrity,? which attacked and captured the Taku Forts.  The British lost 1 killed and 13 wounded, the slain man being an ordinary seaman of the ?Barfleur.?  Commander Cradock mentioned Midshipmen Lionel Shore and Charles Dix as having distinguished themselves in this attack.  A detachment from the ?Barfleur? assisted in the relief, defence, and capture of Tientsin, and lost 2 officers and 7 men killed, and 8 officers and 48 men wounded.  During these operations Midshipman Basil John Guy of the ?Barfleur? coolly attended a wounded man under a very hot fire, and then helped to carry him into shelter, for which act he was subsequently awarded the Victoria Cross.  In August the ?Barfleur? contributed a number of officers and men to the British Naval Brigade which advanced to the final and satisfactory relief of Peking with 20,100 troops under Lieutenant-General sir Alfred Gaselee.  In 1910 this battleship was sold at Portsmouth for ?26,550.

HMS Barfleur, 1894.

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Barfleur, 1894.

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Barfleur of the Mediterranean Squadron

The Barfleur was a steel copper-sheathed first-class battleship, completed for sea in 1894. She was built at Chatham Dockyard and engined at Greenock Foundry. She was commanded by Captain Reginald N Custance and her sister ship the Centurion was the flagship on the China Station in 1896 and were the two fastest ships battleship at the time.

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Barfleur in 1897.

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Barfleur, November, 1895