Erherzog Karl Class

Home ] Up ] Tegetthoff 1878 ] Monarch Class ] Habsburg Class ] [ Erherzog Karl Class ] Radetzky Class ] Tegetthoff Class ]

Erzherzog Karl Class.   Photographs and History of the Erherzog Karl Class battleships of the Austro-Hungarian Navy.
Erzherzog Karl 4th October 1903 Taken by Yugoslavia in 1919  but given to France in 1920 and scrapped.
Erzherzog Friedrich 30th April 1904 Taken by Yugoslavia in 1919 but given to France in 1920 and scrapped.
Erzherzog Ferdinand Max 21st May 1905 Taken by Yugoslavia in 1919 but given to Britain in 1920 and scrapped.
 

Displacement (standard): 11.780 t

Length*width*draft: 126,24*21,7*7,5 m

Output: 14000 HP

Speed: 19 kn

Range: 4000 miles

Armament: 4*240 mm L/40, 12*190 mm L/42, 12*70 mm L/45, 4*47 mm L/44, 2x47 mm L/33, 4*37 mm Vickers, 4*8 mm MG, 2*450 mm TT

Armour: 210 mm belt, 40 mm deck, 216 mm tower

Crew: 740

The Erzherzog-class ships were the first really powerful battleships of the Austro-Hungarian navy but they were still weaker than the battleships of Italy, France and the UK. At the time, they were commissioned, they were obsolete, but still somehow capable. All three ships were named after high ranking officers of the navy, all were princes. Karl was the naval secretary 1801-1813, Friedrich was the commander-in-chief 1844-1847, Ferdinand Max was the commander-in-chief 1854-1864. Later he became the emperor of Mexico, and was executed by revolutionaries.

In the war, they were mostly used for coastal and harbour defence. All three were built at Stabilimento Tecnico Trietino in Trieste.

Class history contributed by Alex Lakatos

Erherzog Karl

Laid down: 24.07.1902.

Launched: 04.10.1903.

Commissioned: 24.05.1905.

The Karl became shortly after her commission the flagship of the fleet. In 1907 she made an 8-month turn in the eastern Mediterranean, where she visited Piraeus, Smyrna, Beirut, and Jaffa. In 1908 she sailed to the western Mediterranean, and visited Barcelona, Gibraltar, Tanger, Malaga and Corfu. In this two voyages the kings of Greece and Spain, and the german emperor visited the ship. In 1909 she received some minor refits, and later the year she made another cruise in the Mediterranean. She made a cruise also in 1910, and in June she was docked for an overhaul.

When the war broke out, she became the flagship of the III. Battleship division, until the end of the war. Her first mission was the bombardment of Ancona on the morning of 24.05.1915. She concentrated fire on the coastal batteries and on barracks.

Her next mission was only 3 years later. In February 1918 some sailors rioted in Cattaro, and the 3. division set sail to crush this riot. After the three battleships arrived, the rebels quickly gave up.

On 19.03.1918 the 3rd division was disbanded, and a new ?heavy division? was created from the Erzherzog-class ships and the armoured cruisers. The Karl became the flagship.

After the war she was handed over to France, but she ran aground off Bizerta, and was broken down in 1921.

Ship history contributed by Alex Lakatos

Erherzog Friedrich

Laid down: 1902.

Launched:

Commissioned: 1907

She made almost the same cruises, as the Karl: 1908 western Mediterranean, 1909 central Mediterranean, 1910 eastern Mediterranean.

Her only mission in the war was the bombardment of Ancona. She shelled the southern barracks, and the industrial buildings. After this, she was used as a coastal and harbour defence ship. In 1918 she helped to crush the riot in Cattaro. After the war she was handed over to France, and was broken down subsequently.

Ship history contributed by Alex Lakatos

Erherzog Ferdinand Max

Laid down: 1904.

Launched:.

Commissioned: 1907.

She made almost the same cruises as her sister ships: 1908. 1908 western Mediterranean, 1909 central Mediterranean, 1910 eastern Mediterranean.

Her only mission in the war was the bombardment of Ancona. She shelled the northern barracks, the radio station, the harbour lightings and some batteries. After this, she was used as a coastal and harbour defence ship. In 1918 she helped to crush the riot in Cattaro. After the war she was handed over to France, and was broken down subsequently.

Ship history contributed by Alex Lakatos

Erherzog Ferdinand Max.

A reproduction of this original photo / photo-postcard size 10" x 7" approx available.  Order photograph here  ? Walker Archive. Order Code PAN187