HMS BERMUDA

Home ] Up ] Newfoundland ] [ HMS BERMUDA ] HMS Nigeria ]

HMS Bermuda part of the Fiji Class Cruisers of the Royal navy. HMS Bermuda was built at Clydebank by John Brown Ship Builders, laid down on the 30th November 1939 and launched 11th September 1941 and completed on the 21st august 1942.  HMS Bermuda joined the |Home Fleet once completed and stayed there until 2945 when she went to the Pacific.  She continued in service well after the war and was finally scrapped at Briton ferry in August 1965

Displacement: 8,000 tons.   Speed: 33kts    Complement: 730

Armament: Twelve 6 inch guns in threes. Eight 4 inch anti-aircraft guns in pairs and nine 2pdr anti-aircraft guns in pairs (one single) as well as eight 0.5 inch machine guns in pairs.   Six 21 inch torpedo tubes in threes and 3 aircraft.

HMS Bermuda entering Malta Harbour, 9th June 1947.

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Bermuda.

Click here for photo purchasing options

A Walrus seaplane launched by catapult possibly from HMS Bermuda. Photograph provided by Barry Reid.

HMS Bermuda in calm seas. circa 1960

Click here for photo purchasing options

William Berwick Reid who served on HMS Bermuda as well as Submarines P552 and HMS Oberon.

Photographs provided by Barry Reid.

Crew picture at Gibraltar possibly on HMS Bermuda. Photograph provided by Barry Reid.