Home ] Up ] Acknowledgements ] How to use our site ]

Edgar Class 

Home ] Up ] [ Edgar Class ] Surprise Class ] Imperieuse Class ] Barham Class ] Emerald Class ] Eclipse Class ] Astraea Class ] Archer Class ] Leander Class ] Barracouta 3rd Class ] Iris Class ] Mersey Class ] Pearl Class ] Marathon Class ]

Choose the navy or section of interest below:

Royal Navy United States Germany France Japan Italy Russia Austria-Hungary
Canada Spain Netherlands Argentina Brazil Portugal Turkey Australia
Norway Sweden Denmark Belgium Chile Uruguay China New Zealand
Malta Greece India Poland South Africa Pakistan Libya Kuwait
Ireland Other Navies Liners   Unidentified Ships Wartime Naval Losses


Customer Helpline (UK) : 01436 820269
Subscribe to our Newsletter!

You currently have no items in your basket


FREE worldwide shipping for orders over £150

Payment Options Display
Buy with confidence and security!
Publishing historical art since 1985

Google

 

Web

www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk

 

The Edgar Class of Large Cruisers consisted of HMS Edgar, HMS Crescent, Endymion, Gibraltar, Grafton, Hawke, Royal Arthur, St George and HMS Theseus.  Built between 1890 and 1892.  These large Cruisers. Saw service in World war as converted depot ships for destroyers and Submarines.  With One loss. HMS Hawke being Torpedoed and sunk by U- 9 on the 15th October 1914. with the loss of 524 men. (only 70 survivors.)

Displacement: 7,700 tons.    Horse power: 12,000.    Length 360ft.    Beam: 60' 8".    Draught: 23' 9".    Armament: two 22 ton guns.  ( protected by steel shields)     Speed:19.7 knots.

HMS Crescent 30th March 1892 Used as a depot ship in 1917 and then broken up 22nd September 1921.
HMS Edgar 24th November 1890 Broken up 9th May 1921.
HMS Endymion 22nd July 1891 Broken up 16th March 1921.
HMS Gibraltar 27th April 1892 Used as a depot ship in June 1915 and then broken up September 1923.
HMS Grafton 30th January 1892 Broken up 1st July 1920.
HMS Hawke 11th March 1891 Sunk by torpedo 15th October 1914.
HMS Royal Arthur 26th February 1891 Used as a depot ship in 1915 and then broken up 22nd September 1921.
HMS St George 23rd June 1892 Used as a depot ship in March 1910 and then broken up 1st July 1920.
HMS Theseus 8th September 1892 Broken up 1921 and then resold 8th November 1921.

HMS Crescent

HMS Crescent, May, 1896

 

 

HMS Crescent c.1898

 

HMS Crescent

Click here for photo purchasing options

Captain H.R.H. The Duke of York, Commanding the Crescent circa 1898.

The Quarter Deck of HMS Crescent

The Officers of the Crescent circa 1898

HMS Crescent - Flagship on the West Indies Station

The Crescent was a steel copper sheathed first class cruiser of the Naval Defence Act Programme and was completed for sea in 1892. She was built at Portsmouth Dockyard and engined by Messrs Penn. In 1896 she carried the flag of Vice-Admiral James E Erskine. 

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Crescent : In the Deck-House on the Fore-Bridge

HMS Crescent : Forecastle

Click here for photo purchasing options

A 6-in. Bow Chaser on board the Crescent

HMS Crescent at the South Railway Jetty, Portsmouth

HMS Edgar

HMS Edgar

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Edgar

HMS Edgar, July,1895

HMS Edgar. 

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Edgar - Name History

The sixth “EDGAR” is a 12-gun twin-screw launched at Devonport in 1890.  She is of 7350 tons, 12,000 horse-power, and 20.5 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 360ft., 60ft., and 24ft.  On November 13th, 1895, the “Edgar” sent some men ashore to drill at Chemulpo.  Unhappily, while returning to the ship the launch capsized, and 48 men out of 71 were drowned.

HMS Endymion

HMS Endymion.

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Endymion.

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Endymion, December, 1895

HMS Endymion

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Endymion.

HMS Grafton

HMS Grafton.

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Grafton

HMS Grafton, August, 1896

HMS Royal Arthur

HMS Royal Arthur - Flagship on the Pacific Station

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Royal Arthur.

Click here for photo purchasing options

Royal Visitors on Board the Royal Arthur. (1896)

Our illustration commemorates the very interesting send off which was given to the Royal Arthur on her being first commissioned at Portsmouth in 1893, as flagship of the Pacific Station.  The Prince of Wales was present, out of compliment to Rear Admiral Stephenson, one of the Prince's former Equerries, and with him attended the Duke of Connaught after whom the Royal Arthur is named, and the veteran Admiral of the Fleet Sir Harry Keppel.

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Royal Arthur.

The Royal Arthur was a steel copper sheathed first class protected cruiser of the Naval Defence Act Programme and was completed for sea 1891. She was built at Portsmouth Dockyard, and engined by Messrs. Maudsley, Son & Field. She carried one 22 ton gun and twelve 6 ins guns with twelve 6 pounder guns and five 3 pounder quick-firers. In 1896 when this photograph was taken she was commanded by Rear-Admiral H F Stephenson.

Royal Arthur was a flagship in the 4th Cruiser Squadron and went into reserve at Portsmouth. She then went into the 4th Cruiser Squadron of the Home Fleet from 1909-1912 and was commissioned for Queenstown Training Squadron in 1913. At the outbreak of WWI she was in the 10th Cruiser Squadron but was reduced to a guardship at Scapa Flow in February 1915 and then became a depot ship for submarines. She operated with the 12th Submarine Flotilla in 1918 and the 1st Flotilla in 1919. She was sold and broken up in 1921.

HMS St George

Crewmen on HMS St George operating the search light.

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS St George.

HMS St George - Flagship on the Cape of Good Hope Station.

The St George was a steel copper sheathed first class cruiser of the Naval Defence Act Programme and was launched in 1892. She was built by contract at the yard of Messrs Earle at Hull and engined by Messrs Maudsley & Co. She was commissioned at Portsmouth in October 1894 as the flagship of the Commander in Chief on the Cape of Good Hope and West Africa Stations. She then carried the flag of Rear Admiral Harry H Rawson C.B.

Up to May 1906 HMS St George served as Boys Training Ship in 4th Cruiser Squadron. But after May she went into reserve at Devonport. In 1909 she was converted to a destroyer depot Ship at Chatham. and re commissioned as depot ship for the 3rd destroyer squadron at the Nore in March 1910. In June 1910 she suffered some damage after grounding off Sheerness. Served with 6th destroyer Flotilla 1912 - 1913 and then 9th Destroyer Flotilla 1913 - 1914. During the early months of world war one served as part of the Humber Patrol. In 1917 was converted to support submarines and went to the Aegean in 1918 - 1919 with the 2nd Submarine Flotilla.  Paid off in 1920 and scrapped June 1920.

Click here for photo purchasing options

Captain E S Poe and the officers of the St George when she was part of the Training Squadron c.1900.

HMS St George.

Click here for photo purchasing options

 

The Flagship Crescent at Bar Harbour 1900 by Charles Dixon.


The Flagship Crescent at Bar Harbour 1900 by Charles Dixon.

Published in 1901 by George Newnes Ltd, this is an original book plate from a large format naval book. These may have some text from the book on the rear of the book plate, but this does not detract from the framed image. Only a few of these original book plates are still available today, more than a century after they were first published.
Item Code : ACD0038The Flagship Crescent at Bar Harbour 1900 by Charles Dixon. - Editions Available
TYPEDESCRIPTIONSIZESIGNATURESOFFERSPRICEPURCHASING


 

Valuations

Classified Ads Terms and Conditions Shipping Info Contact Details

 

 

Click here to go to our naval history forum

Everything we obtain for this site is shown on the site, we do not have any more photos, crew lists or further information on any of the ships.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE. ALL IMAGES DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE PROTECTED BY  COPYRIGHT  LAW, AND ARE OWNED BY CRANSTON FINE ARTS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.  NO REPRODUCTION OR COPYING ALLOWED ON OTHER WEBSITES, BOOKS OR ARTICLES WITHOUT PRIOR AGREEMENT.

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Fax: (+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email:

Return to Home Page