Home ] Up ] Acknowledgements ] How to use our site ]

HMS Gibraltar 

Home ] Up ] HMS Theseus ] [ HMS Gibraltar ] HMS Hawke ]

Choose the navy or section of interest below:

Royal Navy United States Germany France Japan Italy Russia Austria-Hungary
Canada Spain Netherlands Argentina Brazil Portugal Turkey Australia
Norway Sweden Denmark Belgium Chile Uruguay China New Zealand
Malta Greece India Poland South Africa Pakistan Libya Kuwait
Ireland Other Navies Liners   Unidentified Ships Wartime Naval Losses


Customer Helpline (UK) : 01436 820269
Subscribe to our Newsletter!

You currently have no items in your basket

Payment Options Display
Buy with confidence and security!
Publishing historical art since 1985

Google

 

Web

www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk

 

HMS Gibraltar, first-class cruiser of the Edgar Class. Launched in 1892, HMS Gibraltar saw service as one of the Special Flying Squadron commanded by Harry Hughes-Hallet. 

Displacement: 7,700 tons.    Horse power: 12,000.    Length 360ft.    Beam: 60' 8".    Draught: 23' 9".    Armament: two 22 ton guns.  ( protected by steel shields)     Speed:19.7 knots.

HMS Gibraltar - Name History

The ninth “GIBRALTAR” is a 12-gun twin-screw cruiser, launched at Glasgow in 1892.  She is of 7700 tons, 12,000 horse- power, and 19.7 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught are 360ft., 60ft., and 24ft.   In 1896 the “Gibraltar,” commanded by Captain Harry Hughes Hallet, was one of a squadron of six ships which was specially commissioned in consequence of a congratulatory telegram from the German Emperor to President Paul Kruger on the occasion of the Repulse of Dr. Jameson’s Raid.  The ships were called the Particular Service squadron, and were commanded by Rear-Admiral Alfred Taylor Dale, with his flag in “Revenge.”

HMS Gibraltar, July, 1896

HMS Gibraltar.  

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Gibraltar.

HMS Gibraltar of the Special Flying Squadron - 1896

The Gibraltar is a steel copper sheathed first class cruiser of the Naval Defence Act Programme and was launched in 1892. She was built by contract at the yard of Messrs Napier at Glasgow, and engined by the same firm. Her displacement is 7,700 tons; I.H.P. 12,000. Length 360ft. Beam 60ft. Maximum draught 23ft 9ins.  She carries as her principal armament two 22 ton guns, protected by steel shields.  Her speed is 19.7 knots.   The Gibraltar has already been in commission for particular service, but she last hoisted the pennant in January 1896, as one of the Special Flying Squadron. She is commanded by Harry F Hughes-Hallet.

Click here for photo purchasing options

Drill With the 22 Ton Bow Gun on Board HM First-Class Cruiser Gibraltar

The photograph shows a gun detachment of marines at drill with one of the heavy 22 ton breech-loaders of 9.2 inch bore, forming the principal armament of the first-class cruiser Gibraltar, of the Flying Squadron during 1896. The Gibraltar, like her seven sisters, carried two of these powerful pieces on the upper deck fore and aft, mounted singly behind thick steel shields, both gun and shield being constructed to revolve on a turntable, and being capable of training to bear on either broadside, and ahead or astern, as may be. Heavy as the 22 ton gun was it could be worked by hand and could fire a shot in a minute. The 22 ton gun, first mounted in the Blake and Blenheim, was the heaviest weapon mounted in British cruisers at the time (1896).

HMS Gibraltar of the Flying Squadron - Fitting Out at Portsmouth

The photograph shows HMS Gibraltar fitting out at Portsmouth immediately after the issuing of the order for the squadron to be mobilized. Only one week elapsed between the order for the squadron to mobilize going forth, and the commissioning of the six ships taken up, the last stages of the operation being shown in the picture, the taking on board of powder and provisions. To what a point of efficiency the naval mobilization scheme has attained, the despatch in the fitting out of the Flying Squadron showed satisfactorily. Everything needed for the complete equipment of every ship in reserve at each port was kept in store at that port, placed at hand together, and labelled with the name of the ship, ready to be put on board rapidly, while the ships themselves were kept in seagoing condition and constantly inspected - engines, guns and hull.

Click here for photo purchasing options

 
 

Valuations

Classified Ads Terms and Conditions Shipping Info Contact Details

 

 

Click here to go to our naval history forum

Everything we obtain for this site is shown on the site, we do not have any more photos, crew lists or further information on any of the ships.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE. ALL IMAGES DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE PROTECTED BY  COPYRIGHT  LAW, AND ARE OWNED BY CRANSTON FINE ARTS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS.  NO REPRODUCTION OR COPYING ALLOWED ON OTHER WEBSITES, BOOKS OR ARTICLES WITHOUT PRIOR AGREEMENT.

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Fax: (+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email:

Return to Home Page