HMS Diamond

Home ] Up ] [ HMS Diamond ] HMS Amethyst ]

HMS Diamond

HMS Diamond built at Laird's at Birkenhead and laid down on the 24th March 1903, launched 6th January 1904 and completed January 1905.  during 1911 and 1912 served with the 3rd Flotilla as Senior officers ship. In 1914 joined the 5th Battle squadron and in 1915 joined the newly reformed 5th battle squadron of the Grand Fleet. In 1918 transferred to the Mediterranean being used as a CMB carrier  carrying  six CMB's in davits. after the war was sold to scrap in May 1921

Displacement: 3000 tons.  Speed: 21.75 Knots.  Crew 296.  Armament: Twelve 4 -inch Guns,  Eight 3 pdr guns and Four machine Guns   Two 18-inch Torpedo Tubes

HMS Diamond - Name History

The thirteenth ?DIAMOND? is a 12-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Birkenhead in 1904.  She is of 3000 tons, 10,066 horse-power, and 22 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 360ft., 40ft., and 14ft. For some years this cruiser was employed in connection with the east coast of England torpedo boat destroyer flotillas, being based on both Chatham and Harwich for this purpose.

HMS Diamond.

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Diamond at Venice c.1920 

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Diamond in the Bacino di Sa Marco c. 1920.

Click here for photo purchasing options

The crew of HMS Diamond pictured c.1908.

Click here for photo purchasing options

Some of the crew from HMS Diamond while she stayed in Venice c.1920

Click here for photo purchasing options