Name Histories H

Home ] Up ] Name Histories A ] Name Histories B ] Name Histories C ] Name Histories D ] Name Histories E ] Name Histories F ] Name Histories G ] [ Name Histories H ] Name Histories I ] Name Histories J ] Name Histories K ] Name Histories L ] Name Histories M ] Name Histories N ] Name Histories O ] Name Histories P ] Name Histories Q ] Name Histories R ] Name Histories S ] Name Histories T ] Name Histories U ] Name Histories V ] Name Histories W ] Name Histories X ] Name Histories Y ] Name Histories Z ]

Ship Name Histories - Database of histories of ship names beginning with letter H.

HMS Hannibal

The tenth ?HANNIBAL? is a 16-gun twin-screw battleship, launched at Pembroke in 1896.  She is of 14,900 tons, 12,000 horse- power, and 17.5 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 390ft., 75ft., and 27ft.   On the night of October 17th, 1993, the ?Hannibal,? while commanded by Captain A.G. Tate, came into collision with her sister ship ?Prince George,? commanded by Captain F.L. Campbell.  The channel fleet, at the time under Admiral Lord Charles Beresford with his flag in ?Majestic,? was off Cape Finisterre doing tatics without lights.  The actual hole made in the ?Prince George? by the ?Hannibal?s? ram was 24ft. 8 in. in height and about 6 ? ft. wide.  The injury was so effectually repaired on the spot that the Admiral was able to take her to Ferrol for more durable repairs, whence she returned to England under her own steam. 

HMS Harpy

The fifth ?HARPY? was a 2-gun paddle steamer, launched at Blackwall in 1845.  She was of 500 tons, 520 horse- power, and carried a crew of 40 men.  Her length, beam, and draught were 141ft., 23ft., and 13 half ft.  In April 1845 the ?Harpy,? commanded by Lieutenant Edward Beauchamp, took part in minor way in the operations in South America, including the bombardment of forts in the Parana River.   In 1855 the ?Harpy? proceeded to the Baltic to take part in the war with Russia.  In September the ?Harpy? was in the sea of Azof, and acting as one of a small squadron under Captain Robert Hall in ?Miranda,? destroyed stores and buildings, and captured sixty-two pieces of artillery in the towns of Taman and Fangoria.  In 1892 the ?Harpy? was sold to the war office for ?450 for use as a target at Milford Haven in connection with experiments with the pneumatic gun.  The wreck was sold in 1909 for ?20.The sixth ?HARPY? was built as Mortar Vessel ?No.24? at Rotherhithe and launched in 1856.  She was of 169 tons, and her length, beam, and draught were 75ft., 24ft., and 10ft.   The Admiralty lent her to the Steam Navigation Company in 1857, and in 1861 to the Custom House authorities who gave her the name of ?Harpy.?  She was used as a custom House Watch vessel off the Tower of London until 1871 when she was returned to the Admiralty who broke her up at Chatham in 1872. The seventh ?HARPY? is a turbine torpedo-boat destroyer, launched at Cowes in 1910.  She is of 935 tons, 12,500 horse- power, and 27 knots.  Her length, beam, and draught are 265ft., 28ft., and 9ft.   In 1914 the ?Harpy,? commanded by Commander G.C. Dickens, was engaged in the Mediterranen, in various operations against the Germans and Austrians.

HMS Harrier

The seventh ?HARRIER? was a wood built schooner yatch, specially purchased for ?2874 in 1881 for the suppression of the East African slave traffic.  She had been built at Cowes in 1872.  She became of 190 tons after fitting out, and her length and beam were 92ft. and 19ft.  In 1888, after some service on the Australian station, the ?Harrier? was sold at Sydney to the London Missionary Society for ?1200.  The eighth ?HARRIER? is a 2-gun twin-screw gunboat, launched at Devonport in 1894.  She is of 1070 tons, 3500 horse- power, and 19 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught are 250ft., 30ft., and 9ft.   This vessel became a sea-going tender to the Portsmouth Navigation School.

HMS Hart

The eighth ?HART? was an 80-ton cutter yacht, launched at Woolwich in 1822.  Her length, beam, and draught were 53ft., 18ft., and 8ft.   She was employed as yacht to the Navy Board, but on the abolition of that office she became the yacht to the Admiral at Sheerness in 1833.  In 1870 she became a harbour service vessel at Sheerness, being renamed ?Sheerness Yard Craft No 1.?  In November 1870 she was renamed ?Drake,? and in 1875 she was broken up at Chatham.The ninth ?HART? was a 4-gun twin-screw gunboat, launched at Glasgow in 1868.  She was of 584 tons, 608 horse-power, and 10 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 155ft., 25ft., and 9ft.  In 1873 the ?Hart? commanded by Commander Thomas H. Royse, was engaged in the blockade of the Spanish Mediterranean littoral, assisted in the operations against the Spanish Intransigents, and prevented the insurgent ships from bombarding various coastal towns.  In September 1874 the ?Hart,? commanded by Commander T.H. Royse, in company with the ?Charybdis,? took part in an expedition to the Indian River, in the Maylay Pininsula, and composed some differences between the rulers of Johore and Pahang.  In November 1874, the ?Hart,? in company with the ?Charybdis,? took part in an expedition to the Lukit River to intervene in serious disputes which had arisen between the ruler of Sungei Ujong and one of his feudatories.  It was decided to support the ruler, and a small Naval Brigade of 73 officers and men were landed with troops on November 26th.  After some short fighting the Maylay feudatory deserted Campayang, and escaped into the bush.  One sailor was mortally wounded, and 50 of the enemy coolies were killed.  Search parties were sent out in various directions, but they failed to catch Bandar, who did not surrender for some weeks later. During these operations the ?Hart? proceeded to Langkat, to warn the Selangor authorities against affording assistance to the insurgents.The tenth ?HART? was a twin-screw torpedo-boat destroyer, launched at Govan in 1895.  She was of 295 tons, 4000 horse-power, and 27 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 185ft., 19ft., and 7ft. In 1900 the ?Hart,? commanded by Lieutenant J.G Armstrong, played a minor part in the third China War or Boxer Riots. In 1913 the ?Hart? was placed on the sale list at Hong-Kong and was sold in pieces. 

HMS Hawk

The eighteenth ?HAWKE? was a screw yacht, purchased for special service with the Admiral commanding the Coast Guard and Reserves.  She was built at Leith in 1884 as the ?Lady Aline,? and was of 520 tons, 400 horse-power, and 12 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 167ft., 24ft., and 9ft.  In April 1906 the ?Hawk? was sold.The nineteenth ?HAWK? was a 12-gun twin-screw cruiser, floated out at Chatham in 1891.  She was of 7350 tons, 12,000 horse-power, and 20 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 360ft., 60ft., and 24ft.  In 1897 and 1898 the ?Hawke,? commanded by Captain Sir Richard Poore, Bart., was engaged in the operations which led to the pacification of Crete and the appointment of Prince George of Greece as high Commissioner under the suzerainty of the Sultan of Turkey.  On one occasion the ?Hawke? embarked a Greek military force in Platania Bay and took it back to its own country.  On September 20th, 1911, the ?Hawke,? while commanded by Commander W.F. Blunt, collided in the Solent with the White Star Liner ?Olynpic.?  The trial-which pronounced the ?Hawke? to be free from blame-aroused much general interest owing to the theory advanced that the large amount of water displaced by the ?Olympic? led to a suction action which had drawn the ?Hawke? out of her course.  Appeal after appeal followed the decision of the first court to try the case.  In the collision the ?Hawke? lost her arm, and an ordinary straight bow was built to replace it.  In 1914 the ?Hawke,? commanded by Captain Hugh P.E.T. Williams, was engaged in various operations in the North Sea, in connection with the war with Germany.  On October 15th the ?Hawke,? was successfully torpedoed by a German submarine.  The ? Theseus,? which was in company, was unsuccessfully attacked at the same time.  The ?Hawke? sank in a few minutes, and unfortunately Captain Williams, 26 officers and 500 men were lost with the ship.  Four officers and about 60 men were saved.  The twentieth ?HAWK? was a small dhow hired in 1903, and armed with one 3-pounder gun.  Her length, beam, and draught were 50ft., 14ft., and 2ft., and it was said of her that she could sail anywhere where the sand was wet. With 2 British petty officers and a crew of 14 Somalis, she was very active in the prevention of gun-running on the Somaliland coast.

HMS Hazard

The thirteenth ?HAZARD? is a 2-gun twin-screw gunboat, launched Pembroke in 1894.  She is of 1070 tons, 3500 horse-power, and 19 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught are 250ft., 30ft., and 9ft.  In 1897 and 1898 the ?Hazard,? commanded by Lieutenant Price Vaughan Lewes, was engaged in the pacification of Crete.  It had been decided by a council of Naval officers to collect a certain proportion of export duties and to expand the proceeds for the general benefit of the island .  Orders were given therefore that the Custom House at Candia should be turned over to the British authorities.  A desperate attack on a small force of sailors and soldiers by a fanatical, well-armed mob, occurred on September 6th, 1898.  At the same time the British hospital and camp at the other end of the town were attacked.  There were only 130 British troops in the town, and the Turkish troops did not assist as they should have done.  The ?Hazard? opened fire on the town with 4.7?s.  In each case the defence was heroically maintained, and then the infuriated mob turned upon the native Christians, of whom it is believed nearly a thousand were massacred.  The ?Hazard? lost four seamen killed and several wounded; but the Queen marked her  pleasure at the behaviour of the ?Hazard? by promoting Lieutenant Lewes to Commander, and awarding the Victoria Cross and Distinguished Service Order to Surgeon W.J. Maillard and Lieutenant E.H. Nicholson respectively.  A monument to the killed seaman has been placed in the Upper Barracca at Malta.  The ?Hazard? eventually became a sea-going depot ship for submarine boats. On February 2nd, 1912 the ?Hazard,? while commanded by Lieutenant Charles J.C. Little, collided with the submerged submarine A3, which unfortunately sank with a loss of 14 lives.

HMS Helca

The fourth ?HELCA? is a screw 5-gun torpedo-depot ship, launched at Belfast on March 7th, 1878.  Originally known as ?British Crown,? she was purchased into the Navy from the British Shipowners Company Limited.  She is of 6400 tons, 1760 horse-power, and 12 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 392ft., 39ft., and 24ft.    The launching of this vessel is of especial interest to the author, as his mother performed the ceremony.    In 1882 the ?Helca,? commanded by Captain Arthur K. Wilson, took part in the Egyptian War.  On July 11th the ?Helca? was present at the bombardment of Alexandria, and generally assisted by supplying ammunition to the firing ships.  At 7a.m. the ?Alexandria? fired the first shot of the bombardment.  Owing to the flagship?s draught of water Admiral Sir Beauchamp  Seymour temporarily hoisted his flag in ?Invincible.?  All ships were cleared for action with topgallant masts struck and bowsprits rigged in.  By 7.10a.m. all ships were engaged, and such forts as could bring their guns to bear replied with vigour .  By 5p.m. all guns ashore ceased firing and the fleet stopped bombarding at 5.30p.m.  The British casualties were 5 killed and 28 wounded.  The Egyptian loss has never been properly ascertained, but it is believed to have been about 150 killed and 400 wounded out of the 2000 men engaged in the forts.  The small gunboats attacked Fort Marabout, anchoring so close in that the enemy?s guns could not be sufficiently depressed to reach them.  Although the Governor refused to surrender, the town was found to be abandoned on the following day, and it was at once occupied by the crews of the 14 ships which had taken part in the bombardment.  The ?Helca? then proceeded along the coast, starting from Mex, where Captain Wilson landed and destroyed about 100 guns in the seaward defences.   On August 4th Captain Wilson boarded the armoured train which was commanded by Captain John Fisher of the ?Inflexible,? and with one of his Armstrong 40-pound breechloaders dteamed into Mex lines.  There the gun was employed with extraordinary success against the Mariout earthworks distant about 6000 yards.  On August 5th the ?Helca? contributed to a Naval Brigade which left Alexandria in the armoured train commanded by Captain John Fisher.  The marines were detrained about 800 yards from Mehallet Junction and, assisted by the ?Helca?s? 40-pounder gun, quickly dislodged the enemy.  During the evening the brigade was exposed to a galling fire, but the marines behaved with great gallantry and bore the brunt of the attack.  The casualties in this affair were 1 marine killed and 12 wounded, 1 seaman killed and 4 wounded.     The brigade were then recalled to their ships.   On August 12th a party from the ?Halca? distinguished itself by destroying a quantity of gun cotton whil exposed, during some minutes, to a smart fire from the enemy.  In February 1884 the ?Helca? contributed to a Naval Brigade which accompanied the army, under General Sir Gerald Graham, from Trinikat in its march inland.  Rear-Admiral Sir William Hewett, who flew his flag in ?Euryalus,? accompanied General Graham.  The brigade took part in the battle of El Teb, distinguishing itself greatly.  The village of El Teb was captured, and the Arabs fled, after suffered a loss of 1500 killed.  At one time the Arabs made a dash upon a corner of the square.  Captain Wilson of the ?Helca? rushed to the front, endeavouring specially to protect a marine who was hard pressed, and was at once surrounded by five or six Arabs, who engaged him in personal combat.  Captain Wilson?s  sword broke off short, but he continued to fight with his fists and sword hilt until some men of the York and Lancaster regiment intervened with their bayonets.  Captain Wilson received a scalp wound, but was able to remain with the advance, and received the Victoria Cross for his gallantryin preventing the square from being broken.  After the battle of El Teb, Sir Gerald Graham issued a general order, in which he especially thanked the Naval Brigade for their cheerful endurance during the severe work of dragging the guns over difficult country, and for their ready gallantry and steadiness under fire.  On March 11th the Naval Brigade advanced from Suakin with the troops for the dispersal of the Arabs, who were beleaguering Sinkat.  On March 12th the troops took part in the battle of Tamai.  The Naval Brigade charged the Arabs, were cut off and surrounded, suffered many casualties, and lost their guns.  Order was a length restored, and advancing again, the Naval Brigade had the satisfaction of regaining all their guns.  By this time the Arabs had had enough of fighting, and retired after suffering a loss of 2000 killed.  The total British loss was 109 killed and 104 wounded, to which the Naval Brigade contributed 3 officers and 7 men killed, and 1 officer and 1 seaman wounded.  Among the wounded was Lieutenant Crawford Conybeare, of the ?Helca.?  On the 28th the forces re-entered Suakin.

HMS Hercules

The eleventh ?HERCULES? was a 14-gun screw broadside ironclad, launched at Chatham in 1868.  She was of 9300 tons, 8530 horse-power, and 14 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 305ft., 59ft., and 25ft.    This vessel became a floating barrack for dockyard workmen at Gibralter, and her name was subsequently changed to ?Calcutta.?The twelfth ?HERCULES? is a 26-gun turbine battleship launched at Messrs.  Palmer?s Yard, Jarrow, in 1910.  She is of 20,000 tons, 25,000 horse-power, and 21 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught are 510ft., 85ft., and 27ft. She enjoys the distinction of being the first British warship to be launched during the reign of His Majesty King George the fifth.

HMS Hermione

The sixth ?HERMIONE? is a 10-gun twin-screw cruiser, launched at Devonport in 1893.  She is of 4360 tons, 9000 horse-power, and 19 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 320ft., 49ft., and 19ft.  In 1896 the ?Hermione,? commanded by Captain Charles R. Arbuthnot, was one of a squadron of six ships which was specially commissioned in reply to a congratulatory telegram from the German Emperor to President Paul Kruger on the repulse of Dr. Jameson?s raid.  The squadron, known as the Particular Service Squadron, was commanded by Rear-Admiral Alfred Taylor Dale with his flag in ?Revenge.?    In 1900 the ?Herione,? commanded by Captain R.S.D. Cumming, played a minor part in the third China War or Boxer Riots.  Subsequently she became the seagoing depot ship for the first Naval airship of the lighter-than-air type, but when the building of this raft was abandoned, the ?Hermione? reverted to ordinary fleet duties.

HMS Hibernia

The second ?HIBERNIA? was a 120-gun ship, launched at Devonport in 1804.  She was of 4149 tons, and carried a crew of 837 men.  Her length, beam, and draught were 201ft., 53ft., and 19ft.  In 1805 the ?Hibernia,? flying the flag of Admiral Lord Gardner, was employed in the blockade of Brest, and in 1806 and 1807 she flew the Union flag of the Earl St. Vincent as an acting Admiral of the fleet on the same service.  This appointment had been offered to Earl St. Vincent some months before, but he ?spurned at it,? unless Mr.Pitt unsaid all he had said in the House of Commons against his management of the Admiralty. Sometime afterwards, Mr Pitt?s death removed the obstacle, and Earl St. Vincentaccordingly hoisted the union.

           The various letters and orders from the Admiral give his views of Naval matters very clearly.

           Dear Tucker (his old secretary)- This great influx of nobility into the Navy has contributed largely to making the office of Captain a complete sinecure; and it only wanted Lord Garlies? proposition, to give additional pay to the First Lieutenants, to put the finishing stroke to it.  As the service now stands , all the powers, even punishments, are delegated to the First Lieutenant: the Captain does not turn out as formerly; seldom comes on deck; and takes everything upon report.  The change since I commanded the Fleet six years ago is really quite alarming, for now the Captain does not think for himself  responsible for anything; while I maintain (and ever will) that he is responsible for the conduct of every officer and man in the ship he commands.- Ever yours,

To Rear-Admiral Markham.

          ?.. I was much at a loss to account for the ?Ville de Paris? having carried away her foreyard, and we learned from the Lieutenant yesterday that it was actually done by keeping the lee fore-brace fast in tackling, and which broke short by the force of the men on the weather brace.  She is now shifting a fore-topmast, and how the one she is lowering has been sprung is unaccountable, for we have had very moderate weather and smooth water ever since she joined.  The ?Egyptienne? carried out four topmasts to Admiral Harvey?s squadron the other day, and if we continue to throw away topmasts at this rate, the forest of the North will not furnish an adequate supply.  There is a great lack of seamanship in the service, and the young people now coming up are for the most part frippery and gimcrack.  I wish we could revive the old school?.

To Rear-Admiral Stirling

(?Hibernia,? near Ushant, june 2nd, 1806)

           My dear Admiral,- I will thank you to state to the Captains of the ships you sent into Cawsand Bay to replenish and get paid, that I have informed my Lord Commissioners of the Admiralty of the time prescribed to carry these measures into execution during the summer season; six clear days exclusively of the day of arrival and that of sailing, which is considered ample for these purposes; and that a longer continuence in port would be productive of disease; and you cannot be too precise in your orders to send the Pay Books by the Mail Coach the evening of their arrival; their Lordships having found it expedient to take seven sail-of-the-line from me, I am put to my trumps to keep up the four squadrons, and nothing short of punctual obedience to the foregoing orders will enable me to perform what is required.- Yours sincerely,              St. Vincent.

General Memorandum.- To the Respective Captains and


?HIBERNIA,? near Ushant

July 16th, 1806

It is my direction, that during the time the ship you command remains in port, whether in Cawsand Bay, Plymouth Sound, or Hamoaze, you regularly , at the least once a week, visit her patients at the Hospital, accompanied by your Surgeon and Physician of the Fleet, when not employed upon other important duties; and you are to see every man whose case does not forbid him being disturbed, and to encourage and inspire them, by all the address and attention in your power; but care must be taken that the period of your visit be varied, and no previous notice given of your approach.  You are also to provide that on the day immediately preceding the sailing of your ship, her surgeon visits all his patients, in order to bring away those who, although not so entirely cured as to be discharged into the ?Prince Frederick,? maybe, however, in such a state on convalescence as in the opinion of the medical officers of the hospital, renders their complete re-establishment on board their own ship a matter of little doubt or delay.                     St. Vincent.

To Viscount Howick

?HIBERNIA,2 near Ushant,

July 25th, 1806

           ?.I shall never ask you to promote; but if several Lieutenants of the ?Hibernia? are not raised to Commanders, the example set in her cannot be of long continuance.  The officers are always upon the full stretch; and it would have the appearance of puffing if I were to detail the change which has taken place here, and throughout the Fleet under my command, since I was last placed at the head of it.-Ever yours most truly,                  St. Vincent.

  Upon the change of administration early in 1807 Earl St. Vincent resigned the command of the Channel Fleet, and communicates the fact to his older secretary as follows:

Mortimer Street, April 24th, 1807

           DEAR TUCKER- To my great joy and satisfaction, the order is come, and runs: ?Whereas we think fit you should haul down your flag, and come on shore; you are hereby required to haul down your flag, and come ion shore?; signed ?Gambier, Bickerton, Ward.?  The sooner this order is acknowledged and carried into effect the better; and I will thank you to come hither as soon as you have breakfasted, and do the needful for I mean to be very prompt in my obedience.- Yours ever,                       ST. Vincent. 

  In 1807 the ?Hibernia,? commanded by Captain Charles Marsh Schomberg and flying the flag of Rear-Admiral Sir William Sidney Smith, was at the head of a squadron of nine ships engaged in the blockade of the Tagus.  In view of the French advance, the Portuguese Royal family, headed by Prince Regent Dom Joao, then allowed themselves to be persuaded to leave Portugal until the trouble with France was settled.  A portion of the squadron escorted them to South America, but the ?Hibernia? remained on the blockade.  In 1808 the ?Hibernia,? flying the flag of Admiral Sir Charles Cotton, was at the head of a squadron which, in co-operating with the army, assisted in the expulsion of the French from Portugal and in the surrender of a Russian squadron in the Tagus.  This squadron was held in deposit by the British King until six months after the conclusion of the war.  In 1813 the boats from the ?Hibernia,? Captain Charles Thurlow Smith, and flying the flag of Vice-Admiral Sir William Sidney Smith, co-operated with those from other vessels in an attack on the batteries if Cassis, between Marseilles and Toulon.  The marines stormed the citadel battery and drove the French to the heights, and the boats within the mole captured or destroyed 3 gunboats and 25 sail of merchantmen.  The British lost 4 killed and 16 wounded.   In 1825 the ?Hibernia? was partially rebuilt, and she subsequently became receiving ship at Malta. In 1902 she was sold and broken up at Malta.  

HMS Highflyer

The fourth ?HIGHFLYER? is an 8-gun twin-screw cruiser, launched at Govan in 1898.  She is of 5600 tons, 10,000 horse-power, and 20 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 350ft., 54ft., and 20ft.  From November 1902 to March 1903 the ?Highflyer,? commanded by Captain Arthur H. Christian flying the flag of Rear-Admiral Sir Charles Drury, was at the head of the squadron of six ships which took part in the Somaliland campaign in various coastal capacities.  The ships assisted in landing troops and stores, in transport work, and in the prevention of delivery of munitions of war to the enemy.  Three officers attached to the ?Highflyer? were landed, and assisted the progress of the campaign with a wireless telegraphy apparatus.  In August 1914 the ?Highflyer,? commanded by Captain Henry T. Buller, was employed on the north -west African coast protecting British trade.  On August 27 she met the German armed ship ?Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse? off the Oro River, and after a short engagement in which the ?Highflyer? lost one man killed and about six wounded, the German ship was sunk.

HMS Hindustan

 The third ?HINDUSTAN? (or Hindostan) was an 80-gun ship, launched at Plymouth in 1841.  She was of 3242 tons, and carried a crew of 700 men.  Her length, beam, and draught were 168ft., 51ft., and 16ft.      From 1864 the ?Hindostan,? acted as part of the training establishment for Naval cadets at Dartmouth under the general name of ?Britannia.?  Her name was changed to ?Fisgard? in October 1905, and she was merged into the training establishment for boyartificers at Portsmouth. The fourth ?HINDUSTAN? is an 18-gun twin-screw battleship, launched at Clydebank in 1903.  She is of 16,350 tons, 18,500 horse-power, and 19 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 425ft., 78ft., and 27ft.  From August 1st, 1911, to October 26th, 1911, Midshipman H.R.H. the Prince of Wales served in this battleship.  On the day H.R.H. left the ship Captain Henry H. Campbell, R.N., who had acted as Governor to the Royal Midshipman, stated that H.R.H. had ?taken part in every duty that appertains to the working of a great battleship, and had cheerfully and efficiently discharged the less agreeable as the more agreeable of his tasks.  Throughout the whole period of his training he had been an extremely hard worker, and had struck those about him, high and low, as what they called ?a live thing.??

HMS Hussar

The ninth ?HUSSAR? is a 2-gun twin-screw gunboat, launched at Devonport in 1894.  She is of 1070 tons, 3500 horse-power, and 19 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 250ft., 30ft., and 9ft.   In 1897 the ?Hussar,? was employed in the pacification of the Island of Crete, which led to the appointment of Prince George of Greece as High Commissioner, under the suzerainty of the Sultan of Turkey.    The last Turkish troops to be removed from the island were conveyed to Salonica by the ?Hussar.?   This gunboat was eventually converted into a special service ship for service with the Commander-in-Chief in the Mediterranean, and has now only met mast.

HMS Hyacinth

The fourth ?HYACINTH? was an 8-gun screw corvette, launched at Devonport in 1881.  She was of 1420 tons, 950 horse-power, and 11 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 200ft., 38ft., and 16ft.    In 1902 the Hyacinth was sold.The fifth ?HYACINTH? is an 11-gun twin-screw cruiser, launched at Glasgow in 1898.  She is of 5600 tons, 10,000 horse-power, and 20 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 350ft., 54ft., and 20ft.  In 1904 the ?Hyacinth,? commanded by Captain the Hon. Horace Hood, and flying the flag of Rear-Admiral George Atkinson-Willes, was at the head of a squadron of three ships which took part in the Somaliland campaign.  On April 20th the ?Hyacinth,? and ?Fox? arrived off the Gulluli River after dark, and on the following day a small landing party went ashore under Flag-Captain Hood.  One hundred and twenty-five men of the Hampshire Regiment accompanied the sailors.  The brigade advanced upon Fort Illig in face from a brisk fire from rifles, and two old fashioned cannon loaded with mixed iron, and finally carried the place at the point of the bayonet.  The ?Hyacinths?? subsequently cleared the village and some caves at the bottom of the cliffs.  The enemy left between 60 and 70 dead, and the British re-embarked with a loss of 3 killed and 11 wounded.  Fort Illig was then reduced, and the British ships withdrew.  At various dates the ?Hyacinth,? while commanded by Captain J.D Dick and flying the flag of Rear-Admiral E.J.W. Slade, was employed in the prevention of the gun-running traffic in the Persian Gulf.  760 rifles were captured off the Jagin River  on one occasion.