HMS Charybdis

Home ] Up ] [ HMS Charybdis ] HMS Hermione ] HMS Bonaventure ] HMS Astrea ] HMS Cambrian ]

HMS Charybdis, Royal Navy cruiser. HMS Charybdis was launched in 1893 and was part of the Special Flying Squadron under Captain John McQuhae. She also took part in the blockade of Venezuela in 1902 while in the Particular Service Squadron under Commodore Montgomerie. In 1906 she was put into reserve at Chatham after a refit in Sheerness. In November 1910 Charybdis was transferred to the 4th Division of the Home Fleet and later recommissioned in the 3rd Fleet at Devonport in 1913. She was in the 12th Cruiser Squadron at the outbreak of world war one but was laid up in Bermuda following a collision on 9th January 1915. Charybdis was then used for harbour duties in 1917, being converted to a cargo carrier in March 1918 when loaned to merchant shipping. Sold in Bermuda in 1922 but was resold for breaking and towed to the Netherlands in 1923.

Displacement: 4,360 tons  I.H.P: 9,000   Length: 320 feet.   Beam: 46ft 6ins.   Maximum draught: 19 ft.   Armament: two 6in quick firers, protected by steel shields.   Speed: 19.5 knots.

The fourth ?CHARYBDIS? is a 10-gun twin-screw cruiser, launched at Sheerness in 1893.  She is of 4360 tons, 9000 horse-power, and 19 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 320ft., 49ft., and 19ft. In 1896 the ?Charybdis,? commanded by Captain John McQuhae, was one of a squadron of six ships which was specially commissioned as a reply to a congratulatory telegram from the German Emperor to President Paul Kruger on the occasion of Dr. Jameson?s raid.  The ships were called the Particular Service Squadron, and were commanded by Rear-Admiral Alfred Taylor Dale with his flag in ?Revenge.?  In December 1902 the ?Charybdis,? flying the broad pennant of Commodore R.A.J. Montgomerie, was at the head of a combined English and German fleet which established a blockade of the Venezuelan coast which they divided between them for the purpose.  This retaliatory measure was taken on account of outrages on British ships and subjects for which no satisfaction could be obtained.  Nine Venezuelan gunboats or small craft were seized by the boats of the fleet, and two were taken to sea and sunk.  Presidents Castro immediately imprisoned all British and German subjects, but he was forced to release them by the American Consul.  A British merchant ship was seized by the mob at Puerto Cabello, but the ?Charybdis? at once proceeded to the place, and having released the ship, bombarded the fort.  After an eight weeks blockade the Venezuelans consented to arrangements, that brought the blockade to a conclusion, Commodore Montgomerie having acted with great tact and firmness throughout.  A small Italian force also assisted in the blockade.

HMS Charybdis - Name History           

HMS Charybdis, 1917.

HMS Charybdis.

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Charybdis of the Special Flying Squadron

The Charybdis was a steel, copper sheathed second-class cruiser of the Naval Defence Act Programme, and was launched in 1893. She was built at Sheerness Dockyard, and engined by Messrs. Earle. The Charybdis hoisted the pennant in the Special Flying Squadron and was commanded by Captain John M McQuhae.