HMS Black Prince

Home ] Up ]

Warrior Class ironclad battleship HMS Black Prince of the pre dreadnought era. Photos and history of HMS Black Prince of 1861.

HMS Black Prince  was built on the Clyde and at the time she was the largest ship built there. Capsized in Dock at Greenock causing substantial damage to her masts.  In may 1862 she was commissioned into the Royal navy at Plymouth. and served in the Channel fleet form 1862 to 1866. the following year became flagship at

HMS BLACK PRINCE 27TH FEBRUARY 1861 BECAME TRAINING SHIP IN 1899, RENAMED EMERALD IN 1903 THEN IMPREGNABLE IN 1910.

HMS Black Prince

HMS Black Prince - Name History

The eighth ?Prince? was a 28-gun screw frigate ?Black Prince? launched at Glasgow in 1861.  She was 9210 tons, 5770 horsepower, and 13.6 knots speed.  Her length, beam, and draught were 380ft, 58ft, and 27ft.  In 1878 the ?Black Prince? commanded by Captain His Royal Highness the duke of Edinburgh, K.G. was one of a squadron of seven ships which occupied the island if Cyprus under Vice-Admiral Lord John Hay, with his flag in ?Minotaur.?   In 1900 this vessel proceeded to Queenstown and became the training ship for Irish boys.   In 1903 her name was changed to ?Emerald.?   She eventually became ?Impregnable III.,? and acted as part of the boys Training Establishment at Devonport.

HMS Black Prince, 1862.

Click here for photo purchasing options

HMS Black Prince dressed and with her yards manned, 1862.

Click here for photo purchasing options

The Lads of HMS Impregnable

Click here for photo purchasing options

The Black Prince, then a training ship, in Queenstown Harbour, 1898

The Black Prince, 1898 

Captain Langdon and the Officers of the Black Prince, 1898

The crew of the Black Prince, in 1898

The band aboard the training ship Black Prince

Sail Instruction on board the Black Prince training ship c.1898

HMS Emerald - Name History

The seventh ?EMERALD? was a 9210-ton ship which had been launched at Glasgow as a broadside ironclad in 1862 under the name of ?Black Prince.? In 1903 her name was changed to ?Emerald,? and she acted for some years as training ship for the Irish boys at Queenstown.  Her name was again changed in 1910 to ?Impregnable III.,?  and she became merged into the boys training establishment at Devonport.