Euryalus

Home ] Up ] [ Euryalus ] HMS Cleopatra ] HMS Dido ] HMS Sirius ]

History of  Royal Navy cruiser HMS Euryalus. Royal Navy cruiser website dedicated to the Dido Class cruiser HMS Euryalus, including crew and families of ex-crew members notice board for HMS Euryalus.

HMS Euryalus was built at Chatham Dockyard and laid down on the 21st October 1937, launched 6th June 1939 and completed 30th June 1941.  serving first in the home Fleet (1941) moving to the Mediterranean 1941-1943, returning again to the Home 1943 - 1944 and in 1945 serving in the east Indies and Pacific and finally being scrapped at Blyth 18th July 1959

 

Displacement: 5,450 tons   Speed: 33kts    Complement: 530 (556 as a Flagship)

Armament: Ten 5.25 inch de-perming guns in pairs. Eight 2pdr anti-aircraft guns in fours as well as eight 0.5 inch machine guns in fours.   Six 21 inch torpedo tubes in threes.

HMS Euryalus 6th June 1939 Broken up 1959.

HMS Euryalus in 1942 with an addition of six 20mm AA guns fore, amidships and aft.

HMS Euryalus passing through the Suez Canal to join the Mediterranean Fleet, 1939.

Click here for photo purchasing options

The six photographs below were sent in by Vivien Dempster whose father served aboard HMS Euryalus . The ship's captain at the time was Captain Bush.