Name Histories D
Naval History by Country :
|VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT ART SPECIAL OFFERS ON ONE PAGE HERE|
|NAVAL ART||AVIATION ART||MILITARY ART||SPORT ART|
Ship Name Histories - Database of histories of ship names beginning with letter D.
The seventh ?DART? was a 5-gun twin-screw gun vessel launched at Millwall in 1860. She was of 570 tons, 336 horse-power, and 10 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 146ft., 25ft., and 12ft. In 1865 the ?Dart,? commanded by Commander Frederick W. Richards, while at Akatoo on the West Coast of Africa, received notice of a rumour to the effect that the natives were about to plunder the British factories. One factory had been actually looted, and a schooner had been stripped and set adrift. Commander Richards landed some men from his ship and from the ?Lee,? to protect British interests. Several boats were capsized in the surf, and two men were drowned. Commander Richards succeeded in restoring order, with a loss of only one seaman wounded. The eighth ?DART? is a 2-gun screw surveying vessel, launched as ?Cruiser? at Barrow in 1882 for the Colonel Office, and purchased by the Admiralty. She is of 470 tons, 250 horse-power, and 9 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 133ft., 25ft., and 12ft. This vessel was leant to the New South Wales Government for training purposes in 1904, and in 1912 she was sold at Sydney for ?1010.
The third ?DASHER? was a twin-screw torpedo-boat destroyer, launched at Poplar in 1893. She was of 255 tons, 3182 horse-power, and 27 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 190ft., 18ft., and 5ft. In 1912 this destroyer was sold at Chatham for ?1630.
The third ?DEE? was a twin-screw 3-gun gunboat, launched at Jarrow in 1877. She was of 363 tons, 330 horse-power, and 9 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 110ft., 34ft., and 7ft. The fourth ?DEE? is a twin-screw torpedo-boat destroyer, built at Palmers Yard at Jarrow and launched on the Tyne in 1903. She is of 545 tons, 7000 horse-power, and 27 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 225ft., 23ft., and 10ft. In September 1905 the ?Dee,? while commanded by Lieutenant and Commander Harold E. Sulivan, and in company with the ?Exe,? demonstrated her good qualities by successfully passing through a severe typhoon between Wei-hai-wei and Shanghai. At the beginning of the passage the barometer stood at 30.20, and there was only a slight breeze. In two days the glass had dropped to 27.78 and the wind had increased to force 11. By the third day the barometer and wind were both normal. An observer in the ?Exe,? who was watching the ?Dee,? noted that ?. . .The extraordinary attitudes she assumed, and the conditions she went through, were more interesting than re-assuring. At times she would be poised on her crest of a sea, her fore part high and dry (so to speak), leaving her keel visible up to the conning tower; the after part also naked, showing her propellers racing in the air. The she would take a dive, an intervening wave would blot out this merry picture, and then to one?s relief as the wave passed by, a mast would appear waving on the other side until, thank goodness, one would catch sight of her funnels and then her hull, still above water. . .? The ?Dee,? was sighted at a bad period f the typhoon by a passing mail steamer. The passengers gave the little ship up as lost, and it is said that a clergyman among them offered up prayers for the repose of their souls. The commanding officer of the ?Dee,? was much struck by the contrast afforded by the blue sky and comparative calm which he experienced in the centre of the storm, and by the number of kingfishers and other land birds which took refuge on board the ship when she got into this calm vortex. The ship was in situation of considerable peril for some forty-eight hours, and was only saved by good work of her builders, and the seamanlike skill of her Commander. The whole affair reflected the greatest possible credit on the British destroyer officers, and the reader who wishes to read fuller details will find them in the second edition of Admiral Sir Christopher Cradock?s Whispers from the fleet, where they appear in the form of a letter from Commander Allan F. Everett of the ?Exe,? who was the senior officer of the two vessels.
The third ?DEFENCE?
was a 74-gun ship built at Plymouth in 1763.
She was of 1602 tons, and carried a crew of 600 men.
Her length, beam, and draught were 168ft., 47ft., and 18ft.
In 1780 the ?Defence,? commanded by Captain Lord Cranstoun,
was in an English fleet of some 21 ships of the line, and 11 frigates
under Admiral Sir George Rodney with his flag in ?Sandwich.?
They sailed from Plymouth on December 29th, 1779, for
Gibraltar and the West Indies. At
daylight on January 8th, 22 Spanish sail were sighted and
were at once chased. After a few hours action they were all captured.
Seven were men-of-war, chiefly frigates, and the remainder were
merchant vessels laden with stores and provisions for the Spanish fleet
at Cadiz. This action was
fought about 300 miles west of Cape Finisterre; the British ships then
proceeded towards Gibraltar. On
January 16th, close to St. Vincent, another Spanish squadron
was sighted, consisting of 11 ships of the line and 2 frigates under
Admiral Don Juan de Langara. The
English ships at once chased, and at 4p.m. the leading ships got into
action. At 4.30 a Spanish
70 blew up with all onboard, and at 6 another struck.
A night action followed, and at 2a.m. the Spaniards surrendered.
Besides the one blown up, six Spanish ships were captured, but of
these, two drove ashore and were lost.
The ?Defence? on this day lost 10 men killed and 21 wounded.
In April 1781 the ?Defence? was one of a fleet of 29 ships of
the line, which under Vice-Admiral Darby with his flag in
?Britannia? effected the relief of Gibraltar.
Accompanied by a large convoy they arrived at Gibraltar on April
12th, and landed the necessary warlike stores, but not
without great opposition from the besieging Spaniards, and from a
flotilla of single gun gunboats in the Bay.
In one week the re-victualling was accomplished, and the relief
effected, and the squadron then returned to England, arriving at
Spithead on May 22nd. On
June 20th, 1783, the ?Defence,? under the command of
Captain Thomas Newman, took part in the fifth action between
Vice-Admiral Sir Edward Hughes and Admiral de Suffren.
It was known as the battle of Cuddalore.
The English fleet consisted of 21 and the French fleet of 18
vessels. The fleets met at
4p.m. on June 20th, and the action lasted till 7p.m.
The curious point about this fight is that, unknown to either
belligerent, it was thought five months after the preliminaries of peace
had been signed. The French
gained a victory strategically and tactically, though no shipps were
taken on either side. The
English loss was 99 killed and 434 wounded, while the French had 102
killed and 386 wounded. The
?Defence,? lost 7 killed and 38 wounded.
The French by this action prevented the reduction of Cuddalore. On May 5th, 1794, the ?Defence,? commanded by
Captain James Gambier, was off Ushant in a fleet of 25 ships, 7
frigates, 6 fireships, sloops, and hospital ships commanded by Admiral
Earl Howe with his flag in ?Queen Charlotte.?
Until May 28th Lord Howe searched for the French
fleet, which consisted of 26 ships, 7 frigates, and 4 small craft, under
Rear-Admiral Villaret-Joyeuse with his flag in ?Montagne.?
On the 21st the English fleet captured a Dutch convoy,
and on the 25th it took an American brig two small French
frigates. On the 28th
the French fleet was sighted and was at once chased. A partial began at 5.p.m.
By 10p.m. one French ship was disabled with 400 killed and
wounded, but was rescued and towed away.
On May 29th a further action took place in which the
French were badly mauled, and the British lost 67 killed and 128
wounded. On June 1st
the British stood over to the attack, and the action began at 9.30.
Howe?s fleet, led by the ?Defence,? broke through the
French line in most cases and engaged from leeward.
The French at the beginning of the action opened a distant fire
on the ?Defence.? She, however, got through the French line between the
?Mucius? and the ?Tourville,? and was presently in the thick of
the action. She was badly
treated, and signalled for help, and was taken in tow by the
?Phaeton,? but therefore she did this she very pluckily engaged the
?Impetueux? for ten minutes. By
11.30 the action was practically over, and the British had eleven, and
the French twelve more or less dismasted vessels.
The British lost 290 killed and 858 wounded, which included 3
captains killed and 3 admirals wounded.
The French lost six ships captured, one sunk, and about 7000 men
killed, wounded, or prisoners, on this the Glorious First of June 1794.
The ?Defence? lost 18 killed, including the master, and 39
wounded. Captain Gambier ws
a fighting Puritan, and encouraged religious exercises on board the
ship, making the ?Defence? a source of irritation and laughter in
the fleet and raising doubts as to how her crew would behave in action.
They cleared up these doubts, and as she lay a riddled and
dismasted hulk, the ?Invincible,? bore down, and Captain Pakenham, a
rattling good-humoured Irishman, shouted, ?well, Jimmy, I see you are
pretty well mauled; but never mind, Jimmy, whom the Lord loveth He
chasteneth.? There is
another story told of the ?Defence.?
The lieutenant of the after part of the main deck seeing a great
three-decker (the ?Republican?) suddenly bearing down upon the ?Defence,?
and struck with a kind of momentary panic, ran up on the quarter-deck
and addressed the Captain thus: ?Damn my eyes, sir, but here is a
whole mountain coming upon us; what shall we do??
Captain Gambier, who was quite unmoved, looked gravely at him and
said in a solemn voice, ?How dare you, sir, at this awful moment come
to me with an oath in your mouth? Go down. Sir, and encourage your men to stand to your guns
like brave British seamen.?
On July 9th, 1795, the ?Defence,? commanded by
Captain Thomas Wells, was one of a combined British and Neapolitan fleet
of 32 sail in all under Admiral Hotham with his flag in ?Brittania.?
Commodore Horatio Nelson on the 7th had discovered the
French off Cape de Melle, and was chased to San Fiorenzi, where he gave
information to the Admiral. The
French fleet consisted of 23 ships under Vice-Admiral Martin.
On July 13th the French fleet were sighted off Hyeres,
and the British at once chased. The
action began at 12.30p.m. At
2p.m. a French ship struck her colours, and at 3p.m. Admiral Hotham
stopped the action. The British lost 11 killed and 28 wounded, and captured one
ship. The ?Defence?
lost 1 killed and 6 wounded. Admiral
Hotham?s decision to cease fighting was severely criticised.
In 1797 the ?Defence? was involved in the mutiny at Spithead. The men complained of low wages, insufficient leave, poor
provisions, neglect of the sick, and that they were not paid while
suffering in hospital. The
Admiralty granted most of the requests, and the King pardoned the
offenders. There was a great deal to be said on the men?s side, and
they behaved very moderately. Captain
Thomas Wells of the ?Defence? was turned ashore by the mutineers. The
?Defence? was then sent out to join the fleet commanded by Admiral
the Earl St. Vincent, and that she was still giving trouble is evidenced
by the following letter from the Commander-in-Chief to Vice-Admiral Sir
Charles Thompson, Bart.:
H.M.S. ?Ville de Paris,? off Cadiz, August 28th,
Sir,- Captain Wells, of his Majesty?s ship the ?Defence,? having represented to me that George Galway, gunner?s mate, and James Barrack, boatswain?s mate, of the said ship, came with him yesterday with a message from the ship?s company that it was their desire James Stride, cook of her, should be tried on board that ship, I desire you will take the earliest opportunity to visit the ?Defence,? and inform the ship?s company that I consider their conduct upon this occasion as highly reprehensible, and that they put the lives of their two messengers at hazard by sending them on so seditious an errand, and that it behoves them to be more circumspect in their conduct, and instead of aiding and abetting these murmurings and unworthy suspicions, it is their duty to make discovery of them immediately, concealment of mutiny or sedition being, to all intents and purposes, the same crime as an act or either.- I have, etc., etc.,
A few days later the Earl St. Vincent, in
writing to the secretary of the Admiralty, remarks:
I am sorry, however, to observe that there has been a disposition
in the ?Defence? . . . to make occasional appeals to the people,
which I hope the execution of Michael Redden and the removal of some
evil spirits from the ?Defence? will put a stop to . . .
It was in the occasion of this last-mentioned execution that the
Commander-in-Chief thought it necessary to make the following order,
since published in full:
To Rear-Admiral Sir William Parker-
Most secret and confidential, not to be divulged to
any one now, nor in future, unless necessary to put it in force.
Sir-It being necessary to take every precaution against any attempt to delay or defeat carrying the sentence of the court-martial into execution, on board his Majesty?s ship ?Defence,? this morning , I have ordered all the launches in the fleet, fitted with carronades, to have them mounted, and to hold them in readiness at a minute?s warning; and, should any resistance be made to carry the sentence of the law into execution, of which immediate notice will be given to you, it is my direction that you assume the command of them, taking the captains of your division in their barges to your assistance, and that you fire into that part of His Majesty?s ship the ?Defence? where the persons resisting or refusing obedience to lawful commands may dispose of themselves, and continue your fire till they submit.- I have the honour, etc.,
On September 18th, 1798, nineteen seamen of the ?Defence? were sentenced to death for mutiny, and six to flogging and imprisonment for the same offence. In 1798 the ?Defence,? commanded by Captain John Peyton, was one of a fleet of 14 vessels under Rear-Admiral Sir Horatio Nelson, with his flag in ?Vanguard,? which utterly defeated the French fleet at the battle of the Nile. The French, under Brueys with his flag in ?Orient,? consisted of 17 ships, 2 brigs, 3 bombs, and several gunboats. Nelson, with his fleet, chased and searched for three months, starting at Cadiz on May 2nd, and eventually found the French fleet at anchor in the Bay of Aboukir on August 1st at 1p.m.. Standing into the Bay at 5.30, Nelson formed line of battle, and at 6p.m. the action began by the British attacking the French van and centre while they anchored by stern. The ?Culloden? grounded while coming into harbour, and was unable to take part in the action. The ?Defence? attacked the ?Peuple Soverain? and soon drove her from her position, and then attacked the ?Franklin,? which was soon silenced with a loss of her main and mizzen-masts. At 10p.m. the French flagship ?Orient? blew up, having caught fire an hour previously. The action continued through the night, and at 6a.m. four French ships escaped under Rear-Admiral Villeneuve. The British lost 218 killed and 678 wounded, which included one Captain killed and Admiral Nelson and other officers wounded. The French lost in killed, wounded, burned, drowned, and missing, about 3500, which included among the killed Vice-Admiral Brueys and four Captains. Of the French ships 9 were captured, 3 were burned, and 4 escaped. Three of the prizes were eventually burned as useless. Nelson?s popularity had been under a cloud, but he was now given a barony, a pension of ?3000, and a present of ?10,000 from the East India Company. The first lieutenants of all ships were promoted, and the British and Irish Houses of Parliament voted thanks to the whole fleet. The 2Defence? lost 4 killed and 11 wounded. In 1799 the ?Defence,? commanded by Captain Lord H. Paulet, was engaged in the blockade of Cadiz. On July 2nd, 1800, the boats from the ?Defence,? assisted by those from the ?Renown? and ?Fishguard,? attacked and destroyed the French 20-gun ship ?Therese? in Bourgneuf Bay. A 12-gun lugger, two 6-gun gunboats, and a 6-gun cutter were burned at the same time. The French gunboat ?Nochette? had been taken a few days previously. In 1801 the ?Defence,? commanded by Captain Lord Henry Paulet, was in a fleet of 24 ships, 7 bombs, 2 fireships, and 6 gun brigs, commanded by Vice-Admiral Lord Nelson with his flag in ?Elephant? which took part in the battle or bombardment of Copenhagen. The fleet forced a passage of the Ore Sound on March 30th, and after encountering various navigational difficulties, anchored under fire opposite Copenhagen on April 3rd. The Danish defences, besides forts, consisted of 18 men-of-war, armed hulks, and floating batteries, moored in a 1 mile line opposite the town. Two British men-of-war ran aground, and the six brigs were unable to get into action owing to tide. The action began at 10 and was general at 11:30. A furious cannonade followed, during which time Nelson put his blind eye to his telescope when advised by the Commander-in-Chief four miles away to discontinue the action. When Nelson disregarded this advice the ?Defence? and two other ships were despatched to assist the Vice-Admiral by Admiral Sir Hyde Parker. By 3.30p.m. letters were exchanged under flags of truce and the fighting ceased, most of the Danish ships and forts being silenced. The Danes lost in killed, wounded, and prisoners, about 6000 men. The British fleet lost 255 killed and 688 badly wounded. Fourteen Danish ships were captured, burned, blown up, driven on shore, or otherwise taken from the enemy. A fourteen-weeks armistice was then agreed to. The Danes mounted 696 guns on this occasion against the British 1014 guns and carronades. The approach of the ?Defence? and her two consorts acted as a further menace to the enemy, and assisted to induce the Danes to bring the hostilities to a conclusion. Nelson was elevated to the dignity of Viscount for this victory. In 1801 the ?Defence? captured the French 14-gun privateer ?L?Enfant Carnival? off Lisbon. On October 21st, 1805, the ?Defence,? commanded by Captain George Hope, took part in the battle of Trafalgar. The English fleet consisted of 27 ships, 4 frigates, and 2 small craft under Vice-Admiral Lord Nelson with his flag in ?Victory.? The Franco-Spanish fleet consisted of 33 ships, 5 frigates, and 2 small craft under Vice-Admiral Villeneuve and Admiral Don Frederico Gravina. At daybreak the enemy were discovered 11 miles to leeward. The British fleet stood down to the attack in two lines, and the French opened fire on the leader of the lee line at noon. At 12.10 Vice-Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood broke the enemy?s line and at 1p.m. Lord Nelson did the same. As soon as the light wind permitted, the remaining British ships came up and engaged, and by 1.30 the battle was at its height. The ?Defence,? as fourteenth ship of the lee column, was very late in getting into action. She first engaged the French ?Berwick? and then attacked the Spanish ?San Ildefonso,? which struck after an hours action. At 1.25p.m. Lord Nelson was mortally wounded while walking the ?Victory?s? quarter-deck with his flag-captain, and by 3p.m. the firing had diminished. At 4.40p.m. Having learned of the completeness victory, the British Commander-in-Chief quietly and without a struggle ceased to breathe. By 5p.m. the fight was over, the fleet being 8 miles N.W. by W. of Trafalgar. The British lost 449 killed, which included Vice-Admiral Lord Nelson, 2 captains, and 34 officers; and 1241 wounded which included 106 officers. The British ships suffered severely in the hulls, and many were wholly or partially dismasted. The Franco-Spaniards lost 18 ships captured, of which 1 blew up. It appears that the enemy lost about 7000 killed and wounded, which included two admirals and seven captains killed. The remainder of the allied fleet managed to escape, and six months afterwards the French commander-in-Chief, Vice-Admiral Villeneuve, died at Rennes (it is said by his own hands), and was buried without military honours. Of the 17 prizes 2 sank, 6 were wrecked and lost in a storm after the battle, 2 were burned, and 1 was destroyed. The eldest surviving brother of Lord Nelson was created an earl with ?5000 a year settled on the title in perpetuity, and given ?99,000 to buy en estate. A annuity of ?2000 was assigned to Lady Nelson, and a sum of ?15,000 was given of each of his two sisters. Vice-Admiral Collingwood was created a Peer with ?2000 a year, and Flag-Captain Thomas Masterman Hardy was made a Baronet. A large number of lieutenants were promoted, and the fleet received the thanks of both Houses of Parliament. The ?Defence? lost 7 killed and 29 wounded. In 1807 the British Government observed that Napoleonic scheming tended to coerce Denmark into hostility against England. Accordingly a fleet of 65 vessels under Admiral Gambier, with his flag in ?Prince of Wales,? was despatched against Denmark, and they anchored about four miles from Copenhagen in August, and established a blockade. The ?Defence,? commanded by Captain Charles Ekins, joined the fleet on August 9th. A large army of men under General Lord Cathurt were landed and laid siege to the city of Copenhagen. On the 23rd a flotilla of 25 small bombs, mortar boats, and gunbrigs attacked Copenhagen from seaward, while the army got ready their batteries against the town. After much firing the Danes capitulated and surrendered their entire fleet of 70 vessels to the English. The big ships took no part in the engagement. The Naval loss in the small vessels was only 4 killed and 13 wounded, while the army lost about 200 killed, wounded, and missing. The fleet received the thanks of Parliament, Admiral Gambier was given a peerage, and Vice-Admiral Stanhope a baronetcy on account of these operations. During the last months of 1807, the ?Defence,? commanded by Captain Charles Ekins, took part in the blockade of Lisbon. In July 1809 the ?Defence,? commanded by Captain David Atkins, sailed from the Downs in a fleet of 246 men-of-war of various kinds commanded by Rear-Admiral Sir Richard Strachan with his flag in ?Venerable.? Four hundred transports accompanied the expedition, carrying some 40,000 troops under the earl of Chatham. Many of the men-of-war removed their lower-deck guns and carried horses. The expedition set forth to destroy all the French ships in the Schelde, and at Antwerp; to demolish the dockyards at Antwerp, Flushing, and Ter Neuze; and to render the Schelde no longer navigable for big French ships. This affair was of a Military rather than a Naval character. The fleet assisted by bombarding and the landing of a Naval Brigade, in the capture of the island of Walcheren, and in the bombardment, siege, and capture of flushing. But the Earl of Chatman was fonder of his own personal comfort than of work, and after the Island of Walcheren with its batteries, basins, and arsenals had been reduced the British forces withdrew. On December 24th, 1811, after some minor services in the Baltic, the ?Defence,? commanded by Captain David Atkins, was wrecked and lost on the coast of Jutland, 593 men being lost out of 597. The ?St. George,? with Rear-Admiral Robert Carthew Revnolds, had gone ashore, which circumstance was reported to Captain Atkins by the master of the ?Defence.? . . . The Captain enquired whether the Admiral had made the signal to part company; upon being answered in the negative, he replied. ?I will never desert my Admiral in the hour of danger and distress.? Shortly afterwards the ?Defence? too struck. The sea swept completely over the ?Defence,? and the masts had to be cut away. Minute-guns were fired, but the guns soon broke adrift. The waves forced numbers of the men down the hatchways. The booms were washed away, and with them nearly one hundred men who were clinging to the different spars. The guns, which had broken loose, crashed from side to side, killing and maiming those who could not get out of their way. The boats were all stove in except the pinnace. Twenty men got into her, but she capsized, and all perished. Another sea lifted a spare anchor and threw it up on end, and in its fall upon the forecastle it killed about thirty men. The Danes behaved with great kindness to the survivors, and also attended to the burial of all the bodies that were washed ashore, including that of Captain David Atkins, whom they subsequently exhumed and placed in a vault with the honours of war. The fourth ?DEFENCE? was a 74-gun ship, launched at Chatham in 1815. She was of 1754 tons, and carried a crew of 590 men. Her length, beam, and draught were 176ft., 48ft., and 18ft. This vessel ended her days as a convict ship at Woolwich, and she was broken up in 1857. The fifth ?DEFENCE? was a 60-ton coastguard cruiser, launched in 1848. In 1847 the ?Defence? was sold. The sixth ?DEFENCE? was a 60-ton coastguard cruiser, launched in 1848. In 1869 the ?Defence? was sold for ?391. The seventh ?DEFENCE? was a 16-gun screw battleship, launched at Jarrow in 1861. She was of 6150 tons, 2600 horse-power, and 11 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 280ft., 54ft., and 26ft. For many years the ?Defence? acted as a coastguard ship at Holyhead, but her name was eventually changed to ?Indus,? and she acted as a mechanician?s training-ship at Plymouth. The eighth ?DEFENCE? is a 14-gun twin-screw cruiser, launched at Pembroke in 1907. She is of 14,600 tons, 27,000 horse-power, and 23 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 490ft., 74ft., and 26ft. From November 1911 to February 1912 the ?Defence,? commanded Henry H. Bruce, had the honour of acting as one of the escort to H.M.S. ?Medina.? The ?Medina,? flying the Royal Standard, was conveying the King Emperor, His Majesty King George the Fifth, to India, where his Majesty?s Coronation Durbar was helld at Delhi on December 12th, 1911.
The twelfth ?DEFIANCE? is a 91-gun screw wooden ship, launched at Pembroke in 1861. She is of 5270 tons, 3350 horse-power, and 12 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 255ft., 56ft., and 18ft. This ship, however, was never commissioned until December 1884, when she was appropriated as the stationary Torpedo School Ship at Devonport, and various vessels have been attached to the establishment from time to time, under the general name of ?Defiance.?
The first ?DERWENT? was an 18-gun brig sloop, launched at Turnchapel in 1807. She was of 382 tons, and carried a crew of 121 men. Her length, beam, and draught were 100ft., 30ft., and 10ft. On July 4th, the ?Derwent,? commanded firstly by Commander Frederick Parker, and later by Commander Joseph Swabey Tetley, sailed from Goree, in a fleet of about 20 vessels, under Captain Edward Henry Columbine in ?Solebay.? Several unarmed Colonial vessels accompanied the expedition to give an appearance of force. They anchored off the bar at Senegal on July 7th to attack the headquarters of a nest of privateers. On the following day 330 sailors, marines, and soldiers got over the bar after many difficulties which involved the loss of two schooners and a sloop, and the drowning of Commander Parker of the ?Derwent.? On the 9th the enemy retired and took post at Babaque, an island battery which covered seven armed vessels, and commanded a boom spanning the whole river. The ?Derwent? and other vessels bombarded Babaque with such good effect that the enemy expressed a desire to capitulate, and on the 13th Senegal was formally surrendered. In 1817 the ?Derwent? was sold.
The second ?DESPERATE? was an 8-gun screw ship, launched at Pembroke in 1849. She was of 1037 tons, 400 horse-power, and carried a crew of 140 men. Her length, beam, and draught were 192 ft., 34 ft., and 11 ft. In March 1854 the ?Desperate,? commanded by Captain C. J. D?Eyncourt, proceeded to the Baltic directly war with Russia was imminent, and joined the fleet commanded by Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Napier with his flag in ?Duke of Wellington.? Beyond a reconnaissance of some of the batteries, the ?Desperate? performed no service of note before the British fleet quitted the Baltic. On March 28th, 1855, the ?Desperate,? commanded by Commander Richard Dunning White, sailed from the Downs in a fleet of 88 steam vessels of various kinds commanded by Rear-Admiral the Hon. R. S. Dundas with his flag in ?Duke of Wellington.? They made for the Baltic to take part in the campaign against the Russians, and at once established a blockade of the coast of Courland. On June 20th the ?Desperate? and one other ship destroyed five coasting sloops off Pernau, in the Gulf of Riga. On July 17th the ?Desperate? and one other ship had a engagement with the batteries and gunboats in the Gulf of Riga. On July 23rd the ?Desperate? and one other ship landed a party of men, and captured the town of Arensburg in the Island of Osel. On August 6th the ?Desperate? and one other ship landed a party of men near Domenaes, and having destroyed a Russian sloop and Government buildings, repulsed a body cavalry. On August 8th the ?Desperate? and one other ship had a sharp engagement with some batteries and gunboats near the mouth of the Dwina. On September 20th the ?Desperate? and three other ships had a further engagement with the Dwina Batteries. On October 3rd the boats from the ?Desperate? and one other vessel destroyed some small vessels and some government stores at the mouth of the River Rua, before finally quitting the Baltic. In 1860 the ?Desperate,? commanded by Commander John Francis Ross, acted against Mexico and occupied Vera Cruz, the Mexicans having postponed the payment of indemnities to persons who may of suffered in recent revolutions. Without pressing their claims to a definite conclusion, the British forces decided to withdraw. In 1865 the ?Desperate? was broken up.
The third ?DIADEM? was a 32-gun screw frigate launched at Pembroke in 1856. She was of 2483 tons, 800 horse-power, and carried a crew of 250 men. Her length, beam, and draught were 240ft., 48ft., and 15ft. On March 12th, 1862, the ?Diadem,? while returning home from Bermuda with half the crew of the wrecked ?Conqueror,? met the American ship ?C.W. Connor,? dismasted and helpless, and was able to rescue the crew, who were in a sore plight. The ?Diadem? was subsequently reduced to a 16-gun ship, and under the new rating in 1874 was of 3803 tons and 2979 horse power. In 1875 this vessel was sold. The fourth ?DIADEM? is a 16-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Govan in 1896. She is of 11,000 tons, 16,500 horse-power, and 20 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 435ft., 69ft., and 26ft.
The twelfth ?DIAMOND? was a 14-gun screw corvette launched at Sheerness in 1874. She was of 1970 tons, 2150 horse-power, and 13.7 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 220ft., 37ft., and 18ft. In 1889 the ?Diamond? was sold. The thirteenth ?DIAMOND? is a 12-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Birkenhead in 1904. She is of 3000 tons, 10,066 horse-power, and 22 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 360ft., 40ft., and 14ft. For some years this cruiser was employed in connection with the east coast of England torpedo boat destroyer flotillas, being based on both Chatham and Harwich for this purpose.
The eighth ?DIANA? was a 10-gun cutter. On August 6th, 1808, the ?Diana,? commanded by Lieutenant William Kempthorne, captured the Dutch 6-gun vessel ?Vlieg? off java. On September 10th, 1809, the ?Diana, Commanded by Lieutenant William Kempthorne, discovered the Dutch 14-gun brig ?Zefir? at anchor off Amurang in the island of Celebes. The ?Zefir? sailed after dark, and was chased by the ?Diana.? A hot engagement began, in which the damage was all on one side, as the Dutch failed to hit their target. After seventy minutes fighting the ?Zifir? surrendered, with a loss of 5 killed and 8 wounded. Lieutenant Kempthorne was promoted to commander for this service. In May 1810 the ?Diana,? commanded by Lieutenant William Kempthorne, was wrecked and lost on the island of Rodriguez, but the crew were saved. The eleventh ?DIANA? is an 11-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Govan in 1895. She is of 5600 tons, 9600 horse-power, and 19 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 350ft., 54ft., and 21ft.
The fourth ?Dido? was a 12-gun screw corvette, launched at Portsmouth in 1869. She was of 1760 tons, 2520 horse-power, and 13.6 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 212ft., 36ft., and 16ft. In 1871 the ?Dido,? commanded by Captain William Cox Chapman, an officer of great tact and good temper, was instrumental in settling without bloodshed a dispute among the Kings of New Calabar, Bonny, and Ekrika, on the Niger, and in procuring safety for British trade in that river. In 1873 the ?Dido? was similarly successful in settling a number of difficulties which had arisen in Fiji between the natives and the white settlers. In 1874 the ?Dido? was present at the formal transfer of the Fiji Islands to the British flag, and was so unfortunate as to introduce measles among the native population, which resulted in a lamentable loss of life. In 1876 the ?Dido? returned to England after a five-years commission full of valuable though unostentatious work. In 1881 the ?Dido,? commanded by Captain Compton Edward Domvile, took part in the first Boer War. After the battle of Laing?s Nek, the ?Dido? contributed to a Naval Brigade of 50 men and two field guns, which went to the front under Lieutenant Henry Ogle of the ?Dido.? This brigade shared in the disaster at Majuba on February 27th , where the ?Dido?s? lost 3 killed and wounded 3, and the ?Boadicea?s? lost 11 killed, 6 mortally wounded, and 10 severely wounded. Captain Compton Domvile then proceeded to the front to take charge of the Naval Brigade, but no further took place before a peace was concluded. This vessel?s name was subsequently changed to ?Actaeon,? and she was merged into the Torpedo School at Sheerness, after some service as a mine depot on the Forth. The fifth ?DIDO? is an 11-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Glasgow in 1896. She is of 5600 tons, 9600 horse-power, and 19.5 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 350ft., 54ft., and 21ft. At her launch on March 17th an unusual accident occurred. As the ship was moving into the water the ground under the ways suddenly sank, and the ship was thrown out of the cradle, sustaining serious damage. She lay half in and half out of the water for three days before she was finally floated. In 1900 the ?Dido,? commanded by Captain Philip Francis Tillard, played a minor part in the third China War or Boxer Riots.
The second ?DONEGAL? was a 101-gun screw wooden ship launched at Devonport in 1858. She was of 5481 tons, 3103 horse-power, and 11 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 240ft., 55ft., and 21ft. After several years service as coastguard vessel at Liverpool, the ?Donegal? was merged into the Torpedo School at Portsmouth, and her name was changed to ?Vernon? in 1886. The third ?DONEGAL? is a 14-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Govan in 1902. She is of 9800 tons, 22,000 horse-power, and 23 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 440ft., 66ft., and 24ft.
The third ?DORIS? was a screw 24-gun frigate launched at Pembroke in 1857. She was of 5481 tons, 3100 horse-power, and carried a crew of 250 men. Her length, beam, and draught were 240ft., 48ft., and 16ft,. and her speed 12 knots. In 1862 the ?Doris,? commanded by Captain Sir Francis L. M.;Clintock, was one of the escort to H. R. H. the Prince of Wales (later His Majest King Edward the Seventh) upon the occasion when His Royal Highness visited India. In 1867 the British Consul at Cartagena, Colunbia, having complained that his letters were opened and detained by the local authorities, the ?Doris,? commanded by Captain Charles Vesey, proceeded to the spot, and made demands which the governor of the town said he had not power to grant. On February 26th the ?Doris? manned and armed three boats, and captured the Colombian government vessel ?Colombiano.? This caused the governor to adopt new views as to his powers, and matters having been satisfactorily arranged, the prize was restored on March 1st. In 1885 the ?Doris? was sold. The fourth ?DORIS? is an 11-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Barrow in 1896. She is of 5600 tons, 9600 horse-power, and 19.5 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 350ft., 54ft., and 21ft. In 1899 and 1900 the ?Doris,? commanded by Captain Reginald C. Prothero, and flying the flag of Rear-Admiral Sir Robert Harris, played an important part in the second Boer War. On November 19th the ?Doris? contributed to a Naval Brigade of 350 men, commanded by Captain Reginald C. Prothero, which proceeded to the front, and three days later joined General Lord Methuen at Belmont. On November 25th the Naval Brigade fought at the battle of graspan. The men paraded at 5a.m. and after the kopje had been shelled the seamen and marines, led by the flag Captain, advanced on the enemy?s position. The Boers opened a heavy fire at 600 yards and soon supplemented it with a cross fire. Nevertheless the brigade advanced steadily by rushes, and in spite of a loss of 15 killed and 79 wounded gained the summit of the kopje, driving the Boers thence in full retreat. So many officers had been killed and wounded, among the latter Flag Captain Prothero, that the command of the Naval Brigade developed upon Captain Alfred Edmund Marchant, R. M. L. I., who was once promoted to the rank of major. Thus, for the first time for many years, a Naval Brigade, composed of both Bluejackets and marines, had the honour of being commanded by an officer of the Royal Marines. A feature of the attack was the bravery of Midshipman Cymbeline Huddart of the ?Doris,? who, though twice hit, courageously pressed forward until mortally wounded. Her Majesty the late Queen Victoria was pleased to honour the Naval Brigade by telegraphing her congratulations on its gallantry, and Lord Methuen paid it a special visit and complimented it on its splendid behaviour. On December 14th the Naval guns were in action bombarding the Boer positions at Modder River, and a Naval searchlight worked by Midshipman James Menzies of the ?Doris? got into communication with the beleagured town of Kimberley. In February two 4.7-guns proceeded to the front under Commander William Lowther Grant of the ?Doris,? and subsequently took part in the battle of Paardeberg and the capture of General Cronje. This party assisted in the capture of Bloemfontein, and suffered very severely indeed from enteric fever, no fewer than 89 officers and men being taken ill there. They assisted in the capture of Johannesburg and of Pretoria, and in the subsequent minor operations, turning the guns over to the Royal Artillery, and arriving back on board the ?Doris? on October 7th, 1900. After the battle of Paardeberg General Piet Cronje, his wife, grandson, aide-de-camp, and adjutant were held onboard the flagship ?Doris? for about six weeks, previous to their transportation to the Island of St. Helena. They lived in the Commander-in-Chief?s suite of cabins. The dress worn by Mrs. Cronje on arrival was badly stained with picric acid, from the bursting of lyddite shell over the trenches, in which she had lain with a noteworthy gallantry.
The fifteenth ?DRAGON? was a 6-gun screw sloop launched at Devonport in 1878. She was of 1140 tons, 1010 horse-power, and 11.5 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 170ft., 36ft., 15ft. In 1882 the ?Dragon,? commanded by Commander Edward Grey Hulton, took part in the Egyptian War. In August 1882 the ?Dragon? contributed to a Naval Brigade which was disembarked at Suez. The inhabitants understood that the town was in danger of being burnt, but the Naval Brigade, composed mostly of marines, occupied the town, and the Egyptian troops fled. In 1884 and 1885 the ?Dragon? was employed in the suppression of slavery in the Persian Gulf and east coast of Africa. In 1892 the ?Dragon? was sold. The sixteenth ?DRAGON? was a twin-screw torpedo-boat destroyer launched at Birkenhead in 1894 She was of 305 tons, 4400 horse-power, and 27 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 210ft., 19ft., and 6ft. In 1912 the ?Dragon? was sold at Devonport for ?1830.
The twenty-first ?DRAKE? was a 2-gun screw gunboat, launched at Pembroke in 1856. She was of 238 tons, 40 horse-power, and carried a crew of 36 men. Her length, beam, and draught were 110ft., 22ft., and 4ft. In 1857 the ?Drake,? commanded by Lieutenant William Arthur, was one of a Franco-British fleet of 32 ships which on December 28th took part in the bombardment of Canton under Admiral Sir Michael Seymour. British and French troops and a Naval brigade 1500 strong were landed and co-operated in the attack. On the 29th scaling ladders were sent forward, and an hour after the assault the town was captured and occupied, and 400 guns were destroyed. The Naval Brigade in the whole operations lost 7 killed and 32 wounded. In August 1860 the ?Drake" was one of a fleet of 11 ships and many rocket boats, under Rear-Admiral Lewis Tobias Jones with his flag temporarily in ?Dove,? which co-operated with the allied British and French troops, 20,000, in the attack and capture of the Taku Forts. The Naval work consisted in bombarding the forts and clearing the boom obstructions in the river. The ships suffered no casualties, but the marines on shore, who behaved with their accustomed brilliancy, lost 1 killed and 29 wounded. In 1869 the ?Drake? was sold for ?1156 at Hongkong. The twenty-third ?DRAKE? is an 18-gun twin-screw cruiser launched at Pembroke in 1901. She is of 14,100 tons, 31,450 horse-power, and 24 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 500ft., 71ft., and 26ft. On February 27th, 1905, the ?Drake,? while commanded by Captain Mark Kerr, and flying the flag of Rear-Admiral H. S. H. Prince Louis of Battenberg, who commanded the second cruiser squadron, had the honour of a visit in Portsmouth Dockyard from His Majesty King Edward the Seventh, who spent the night on the ship.
The eighth ?DREADNOUGHT? was a 4-gun twin-screw turret ship launched at Pembroke in 1875. She was of 10,820 tons, 8200 horse-power, and 14.5 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 320ft., 64ft., and 27ft. This vessel?s original name was ?Fury,? but it was changed to ?Dreadnought? before completion. From June 8th, 1886, to April 20th, 1888, H. R. H. Prince George of Wales, now His Most Gracious Majesty King George the fifth, served in this ship as a Lieutenant, with the exception of two short periods- August 1st, 1886, to September 16th, 1886, when he was lent to the ?Thunder,? and May 20th, 1887, to July 1st, 1887, when he served in the ?Alexandra.? In 1908 the ?Dreadnought? was sold at Portsmouth. The ninth ?DREADNOUGHT? is a 10-gun turbine battleship launched at Portsmouth in 1906. She is of 17,900 tons, 27,500 horse-power, and 22 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 490ft., 82ft., and 26ft. This vessel represented an important departure from the comtemporary battleship design, and as she was the first vessel of the twentieth century to embody the all-big-gun principle, as well as to be fitted with turbine machinery, much attention was concentrated upon her trials and subsequent behaviour. On August 5th, 1907, His Majesty, the late king Edward the Seventh, accompanied by Her Majesty Queen Alexandra, Their Royal Highnesses the Prince of Wales, Princess Victoria, Prince Edward of Wales and H. R. H. the Duke of Connaught visited H.M.S. ?Dreadnought? at Spithead. Their Majesties were received by the Board of Admiralty, Vice-Admiral Sir Francis Bridgeman, commanding the home fleet, and Captain R. H. Bacon, who commanded the ship. The Standard having being broken, Their Majesties inspected the battleship, and proceeding for a short cruise, witnessed some firing by the 12-in. guns, and also a series of exercises performed by the Submarine Flotilla. Soon after his accession to the Throne, His Majesty King George the fifth honoured the Home Fleet with a visit at Torbay. On July 27th and 28th, 1910, the ?Dreadnought,? commanded by Captain H. W. Richmond, flying the flag of Admiral Sir William H. May, the Commander-in-Chief, proceeded to sea for various exercises with the fleet, and His Majesty the King was graciously pleased to go to sea and fly his Royal Standard in the ?Dreadnought? on both these occasions.
The third ?DRYAD? was a 9-gun screw sloop, launched at Devonport in 1866. She was of 1620 tons, 1570 horse-power, and 11.8 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 187ft., 36ft., and 17ft. In 1868 the ?Dryad,? commanded by Commander Thomas Butler Fellowes, took part in the Abyssinian War. A large Naval Brigade composed of men from several ships was landed at Zoulla on January 25th, and placed under the command of Commander Fellowes. The Brigade marched inland, and on joining Lieutenant-General Sir Robert Napier, the Commander-in-Chief at Santara on March 30th, it was drilled and fired rockets under His Excellency?s inspection. On April 10th it rendered valuable service during the action in the Arrogie Pass, where it led the attack up the King?s Road. On April 13th it took part in the assault and capture of Magdala, throwing rockets into the town. The Brigade behaved admirably and marched very well indeed, earning the warm praise of the Commander-in-Chief. There were no casualties, and Commander Fellowes of the ?Dryad? was promoted to Post-Captain for his services. In 1868 and 1869 the ?Dryad,? commanded by Commander Philip Howard Colomb, did good service against slavers on the East Indian station. In 1883 the ?Dryad,? commanded by Commander Charles Johnstone, went through a peculiar experience at Tamatave in Madagascar. The French Rear-Admiral Pierre arrived at Tamatave and made certain demands on behalf of the French Government, threatening bombardment if they were refused. As the British Consul was on the point of death, Commander Johnstone had taken the Consulate papers on board the ?Dryad? and had assumed the office of Acting British Consul, landing a guard of marines to protect the Consular building, and placing boats on disposal of British residents. The native Hovas refused to comply with the ultimatum, whereupon the French flagship bombarded the town, and set fire to it. The British Marine Guard stayed the conflagration. A state of siege was kept up, but Commander Johnstone, in face of a greatly superior force, managed to prevent interference with the mails, and saved much valuable property. The ?Dryad? added to the glory of the flag by resolutely clearing for action and showing her readiness to fight if British interests were affected. It was discovered soon afterwards that Rear-Admiral Pierre was insane, and had acted without authority. Commander Johnstone was promoted to Post-Captain for his services. In 1884 the ?Dryad,? commanded by Commander Edward Grey Hulton, took part in the Egyptian War. In February 1884 the ?Dryad? contributed to a Naval Brigade which accompanied the army under General Sir Gerald Graham from Trinkitat in its march inland. The Brigade took part in the battle of El Teb, distinguishing itself greatly. The village of El Teb was captured and the Arabs fled, after having suffered a loss of 1500 killed. It was at this battle that Captain A.K. Wilson of the ?Helca? earned the Victoria Cross for his conspicuous bravery in fighting with his fists, and saving one corner of the square from being broken. After the battle of El Teb, the General Commanding issued a general order in which he especially thanked the Naval Brigade for their cheerful endurance during the severe work of dragging the guns over difficult country, and for their ready gallantry and steadiness under fire. On March 11th the Naval Brigade advanced from Suakin with the troops for the dispersal of the Arabs who were beleaguering Sinkat. On March 12th the troops took part in the battle of Tamai. The Naval Brigade charged the Arabs, got cut off and surrounded, suffered many casualties, and lost their guns. Order was at length restored, and the Naval Brigade advancing again, had the satisfaction of regaining all their guns. By this time the Arabs had had enough of fighting, and retired after suffering a loss of 2000 killed. The total British loss was 109 killed and 104 wounded, to which the Naval Brigade contributed 3 officers and 7 men killed, and 1 officer and 6 seamen wounded. Among the killed was Lieutenant Houston Stewart of the ?Dryad,? who died while defending the guns. In 1885 the ?Dryad? was sold. The fourth ?DRYAD? is a 2-gun twin-screw gunboat, launched at Chatham in 1893. She is of 1070 tons, 3500 horse-power, and 18.5 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 250ft., 30ft., and 10ft. For some years this vessel acted as tender to the Navigation School at Portsmouth.
|The fifth ?DUBLIN? is an 8-gun turbine cruiser, launched at Dalmuir in 1912. She is of 5400 tons, 25,000 horse-power, and 25 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 430ft., 50ft., and 17ft.|
|HMS Duke of Edinburgh|
The fourth ?EDINBURGH?
was a twin-screw turret ship, built at Pembroke as the ?Majestic? in
1882. She was of 9150 tons,
6000 horse-power, 14 knots of speed, and carried four 43-ton guns.
Her length, beam, and draught were 325ft., 68ft., and 26ft. In her later years this ship was attached to the
Sheerness-Chatham Gunnery School. She was sold at Devonport in October 1910 for ?19,300. The fifth ?EDINBURGH? is a 16-gun
twin-screw cruiser christened as the ?Duke of Edinburgh,? and
launched at Pembroke in 1904. She
is of 13,550 tons, 23,685 horse-power, and 23 knots speed.
Her length, beam, and draught were 480ft., 73ft., and 27ft.
The sixth ?DUNCAN? was a 31-gun screw wood ship, launched at Portsmouth in 1859. She was of 5724 tons, 2826 horse-power, and 13 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 252ft., 58ft., and 20ft. The ?Duncan? served as coastguard ship at Queensferry, as flagship at Sheerness, and in 1889 with her name changed to ?Pembroke? she became the receiving ship at Chatham. In September 1905 she became known as ?Tenedos II.,? and in October 1910 she was sold at Devonport for ?7525. The seventh ?DUNCAN? is a 16-gun twin-screw battleship launched at Blackwell in 1901. She is of 14,000 tons, 18,222 horse-power, and 19 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 405ft., 75ft., and 26ft.
The fourth ?DWARF? was a 2-gun screw gunboat launched at Blackwall in 1856. She was of 242 tons, 20 horse-power, and carried a crew of 36 men. Her length, beam, and draught were 100ft., 22ft., and 4ft. In 1863 the ?Dwarf? was broken up. The fifth ?DWARF? was a 4-gun twin-screw gunboat launched at Wollwich in 1867. She was of 584 tons, 495 horse-power, and 10 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 155ft., 25ft., and 9ft. Towards the end of 1868 a British schooner was captured by Malay pirates near Marudu Bay, Borneo, and three of her men were killed. Upon hearing of this outrage the ?Dwarf,? commanded by Lieutenant Charles F. Walker, started in pursuit, with the Governor of Laubuan on board. The pirates made a stand on the island of Ubian and, refusing to give up their leader, were punished by a landing party which burnt their village and brought about their submission. In 1886 the ?Dwarf? was broken up at Devonport. The sixth ?DWARF? is a 2-gun twin-screw gunboat launched at Glasgow in 1898. She is of 710 tons, 1300 horse-power, and 13.5 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were 180ft., 33ft., and 8ft. In 1900 the ?Dwarf,? commanded by Lieutenant Frank Hastings Shakespear, played a minor part in the second Boer War. In January 1901 the ?Dwarf,? commanded by Lieutenant F.H. Shakespear, assisted in a minor way in some combined Anglo-French operations in the Gambia River against the rebellious chief, Fodeh Cabbah.
Everything we obtain for this site is shown on the site, we do not have any more photos, crew lists or further information on any of the ships.
COPYRIGHT NOTICE. ALL IMAGES DISPLAYED ON THIS WEBSITE ARE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT LAW, AND ARE OWNED BY CRANSTON FINE ARTS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS. NO REPRODUCTION OR COPYING ALLOWED ON OTHER WEBSITES, BOOKS OR ARTICLES WITHOUT PRIOR AGREEMENT.
Sign Up To Our Newsletter!
This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts. Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE
Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269. Fax:
(+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email: